cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing ethernet connections on wireless network, vice/versa

dmannion

Viewing ethernet connections on wireless network, vice/versa

Hi all,
With my old provider,  I used to be able to plug my TV in to the ethernet ports at the back of my router, then use my laptop's wifi connection to stream content to the TV.
On the TG585 v8, it seems like the wired network and the wireless network are completely separate, and can't interact with each other. Is there a way to basically share the wired connections over the wireless network? I'm aware I could simply plug all my wired connections in to a wireless bridge, but I'd much rather be able to use just the router.
Cheers,
David
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Viewing ethernet connections on wireless network, vice/versa

I'm sure it must be possible, although the TG585 v8 is not the Rolls Royce of routers.  But given that you have a laptop, why don't you just take it to the router and connect it with a wire when you want to stream content to your TV? 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@dmannion,
What you are trying to do should work fine on the TG585. Check that your TV and laptop are both set to obtain an IP address automatically.
I suspect the TV might have been set to a fixed IP in the subnet of the old router ( possibly 192.168.0.x ). The TG585 uses 192.168.1.x I believe.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

I don't know about the TG585, although having read these forums for some while now, I know its a router I would personally steer a long way from.
Generally speaking, the more modern routers isolate the wireless network from the wired network because of security concerns.  But all of those I've seen that do this, also allow you to turn it off, I'm not familiar with the TG585 as I say, but look for an option on the router called "wireless isolation" or "VLAN" if its "wireless isolation" you should just be able to switch it off, if you find "VLAN" options instead, you'd need to refer to help as VLAN configuration interfaces can sometimes be far from obvious.
A search on Google reveals someone else here has had a very similar problem.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94096.0.html/
I didn't read the thread properly, but take a look.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fourfourdevon, are you the brother of MisterW?  You certainly look almost identical.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

lol, there are a few of us penguins about on this forum, just showing our OS affiliation, not our genetics.
dmannion

thanks for the advice, but it doesn't look like the 585v8 has VLAN configuration or a wireless isolation option Sad
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi dmannion,
The 585 certainly does bridge the wireless and wired segments to form a single switched broadcast domain.
What IP address (and subnet mask) is your TV getting/using? Can you ping it from the laptop?
Mathew