Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video stream keeps stuttering

FIXED
lexifer
Dabbler

Video stream keeps stuttering

Hi, I was previously in contact regarding being unable to play World of Warcraft without horrific ping drops. I do still have this problem and as such have given up even trying to play, the only way I could get my ping to be stable was by using a VPN, which I assume has better traffic management. 

I have however noticed that my internet is struggling to stream from iplayer  (not connected to VPN), I literally get 30 seconds of video then it buffers again. I have even made sure nothing else is using the internet, yet it still stutters, it makes viewing anything nigh on impossible

I would appreciate your help

Thanks,

Lexifer

13 REPLIES 13
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Video stream keeps stuttering

Hi Lexifer,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the performance of your connection, particularly when it comes to streaming from iPlayer. I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up any problems from here and indicates that the line is currently syncing at the full 40mbps down and 10mbps up.

So that we can determine the best next steps towards a resolution for you, please can you confirm whether the iPlayer issue is solely occurring on wireless connections or if it's occurring on wired connections too? Are you experiencing any other connection problems at the moment or is it just when watching iPlayer?

Regards,
Emily

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
lexifer
Dabbler

Hi Emily, 

Thank you for the quick response. My PC is connected via Ethernet. I also have the same issue when streaming video from my friends PLEX server. I must add that this problem is intermittent however has happened frequently enough over the past few months to be annoying. Most of the time I have to refresh the page in order to continue watching. I also have issues with high ping in various multiplayer games, but due to consistent high ping I don't play them much.

Thanks,
Lexifer

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers, do you also see the same or similar issues if using a difference device connected to the router? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a go on the Thinkbroadband  tester. It measures single thread speeds. The lines in the results should be as close together as possible, othewise it indicates a potential issue.

Mark

lexifer
Dabbler

Hi adamwalker, 

The only other devices I have are my phone and Switch, I only really watch Youtube on these and have no issues whatsoever. Literally the only things I have issue streaming from are Iplayer and Plex on my PC. 

As per markfish suggestion the results for the thinkbroadband speedtest can be found here

Thanks,

Lexifer

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @lexifer

Have you tried watching iPlayer on your phone to see if that has the same issue?

If your phone doesn't have issues then the issue could well lie with your PC

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
lexifer
Dabbler

Hi MatthewWheeler,

I do not have the same issues on my phone. Thinking that it could well be my PC, like a dodgy driver or something, I have completely reinstalled Windows 10 and I still have the same issues. I also checked my ping on World of Warcraft, as I also have issues with my World ping, and it is exactly the same, it still spikes to over 500ms.

Thanks,

Lexifer

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Fix

Hey @lexifer,

Thanks for confirming that info.

The next thing to try is plugging your connection into the test socket (if you haven't already) 

This rules out your internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause of this.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

If the problem still persists, please can you raise a fault here and let us know once this has been done?

Thanks.

lexifer
Dabbler

Hi Mads,

I have plugged my router into the test socket, speedtest results can be found here. As you can see the speed through the test socket is drastically higher then normal (speedtest results from Saturday (13/07) here)

Thanks, 

Lexifer

EDIT: My World ping on World of Warcraft is now over 1100ms

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @lexifer, thank you for providing the results.

Given that there's such an improvement when you're connected to the test socket, this could certainly indicate that the issue lies within the face-plate or the premises internal wiring.

It may be worth monitoring further whilst still connected to the test socket to see if the speed is consistently better. If so, the best thing to rule out as the cause first would be the face-plate as these are usually easily changed and can be picked up for a few pounds from most technology shops.

Let us know how it goes.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
lexifer
Dabbler

Hi LaurenB,

Quick question, is the master socket faceplate meant to be connected to anything? Because it isnt

Thanks, 

Lexifer

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

With the wifi tests, have you tried splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @lexifer, although it may seem like the face-plate isn't connected to anything, when attached it actually connects into the test socket.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team