cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very stable download speeds.

oldgeezer
Grafter

Very stable download speeds.

About 4 weeks ago my exchange was 21 CN'd and I asked Plusnet to put me onto ADSL2+.
Initially I had problems with my existing Netgear DGN1000 and eventually I asked Plusnet for a Thomson 585v8 on which I installed the latest firmware..
Initially with the Netgear I was getting download speeds up to 7000 kbps but with frequent disconnects.
Since the Thomson has settled down I am getting a constant sync speed of  6656 kbps and a constant download speed of 5000 kbps. My 20CN attenuation was 44 dB and my 21CN attenuation is 40.5 dB with both routers. The download speed for 21CN is only about 500 kbps better than it was on 20CN.
Thinking that my line was throttled in some way I raised a ticket and received the reply that my IP profile was in line with my connection speed which I already knew. My concern is why does my connection speed remain so fixed at 6656 when my noise margin varies between 8 and 4.5 dB.
Is this what I can expect with ADSL2+ or is some-one somewhere capping my line ?
oldgeezer
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Very stable download speeds.

Hi oldgeezer,
Looks like banding has been applied to your line. It's probably why your line is so stable. We could probably squeeze a bit more out of your line but if what you're getting now is sufficient for your needs then I would leave it.
Jojo Smiley
oldgeezer
Grafter

Thanks for the reply JoJo.
As you say I am probably better off leaving things as they are. It seems a pity that the banding has probably been applied as a result of the bother with the Netgear router when my line first went to ADSL2+. I presume that the DLM is a permanent fixture and the exchange will not attempt to re-try a different banding. It also seems a pity that the bands are so far apart  at the point where the vast majority of user's bandwidth lie eg 4 to 6 Mb/s.
Looking at my router stats the line does seem to reset every night or so, the difference with the Thomson router being that it resets itself and doesn't require a hard power re-cycle. Wireless and wired internet connection seem rock solid with this router now.
I'll stick with the 5Mb/s downloads if they stay at that level.
oldgeezer
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi oldgeezer,
To be honest, if it was my line I would leave it, judging on the tests I ran.
Jojo Smiley
oldgeezer
Grafter

Thanks JoJo,
I've managed to install the full version of Routerstats now that I've got the Thomson router.
It shows me that very few of the ADSL2+ bins are in use, a total of about 15 bits have been  allocated up there in the first 5 or so bins.
ADSL2+ gives me a small increase in speed 'so I'll be grateful for small mercies.
Thanks for your help.
oldgeezer.