cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow upload speed due to SNR / Interleaving??

marders2020

Very slow upload speed due to SNR / Interleaving??

I've been in touch with customer services for 2.5 months now trying to sort out my slow internet speed since moving to plusnet at the start of July.  An engineer was sent out and a faut was identified which fixed an issue I had with the connection dropping but some tweaks to my settings whilst investigating have caused my interent to slow dramatically as the settings have not been changed back to what they were prior to the fault fix.  I've asked a number of times but I now get a standard response that the download and upload speeds are within the acceptable limits and upload in particular basically has not minimum gaurantee.

Below is a summary of my issue:

Hi,

Before we moved to Plusnet at the start of July we never had any issues with the upload speed causing very slow internet.
We had been working from home for over 2 months by then so we would have noticed.
Then we changed to Plusnet and we had our connection dropping out all the time.
This happened for approx the first 2 weeks until an engineer came and fixed a fault at the exchange.
In this first 2 weeks of July (or 13 days) we again had no issues with the upload speed as we were working the same as we had been (obviosuly we had major dropout issues).

When I look back at the technical info posted in the question I raised, you can see on the 13th July ( [CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst 9:02pm, Monday 13 Jul 2020) that the downlink/uplink speeds are 1123/7360 (SNR 5.5)
Then the next day on the 14th of July ( [CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst 1:27pm, Tuesday 14 Jul 2020) the up/down speeds are 440/8939 (SNR 25.5)
Then on the 20th of July ( [CSA Removed] - CSC Analyst 12:23pm, Monday 20 Jul 2020) the up/down speeds are 440/10478 (SNR 25.0)

These later ones are similar to what I now see, upload speeds of 0.1-0.3mbps and download speeds approx 6-8 mbps.

Note how the upload speed went from 1123 on the 13th to 440 on the 14th? What would cause such a drop over night? My only theory is as I mentioned above in that interleaving was turned on which apparently affects speeds. I'm now assuming that "interleaving" is a term used to refer to the SNR number as this changes from 5.5 (and uploading fine) to 25.5/25.0 (and uploading not ok).

I have read other threads where there is some kind of limit placed on speeds and I'm not 100% sure about this but perhaps this relates to SNR/interleaving? Despite numerous attempts to get this fix the settings seem to remain in place.

I would really just prefer to cancel my contract as since the internet speed as it stands is unusable for a majority of the time, especially when people are working from home and relying on a good speed.  Or maybe someone could just take the time to properly look at my settings and actually fix them ie revert back to prior to 13th July when the speed worked fine...

I don't want to book an engineer to visit as you'll likely find no fault since the last engineer visit did find  fault.  Also, given the last engineer fixed one problem but not the other then the issue is not resolved and the engineer probbly won't be able to resolve it since it is related to the settings on plusnet's side.

Moderators Note:  CSA name removed as per Forum rules

7 REPLIES 7
marders2020

Re: Very slow upload speed due to SNR / Interleaving??

Are there technical Plusnet people who look at these boards or is it just a black hole for that kind of help?!  It seems my issue shouldn't be that hard to fix given the details in my previous post...

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@marders2020  Welcome to the forums. Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

From what I can see in your first post, it appears that you have a problem - the SNR of 25dB certainly points that way, but why it has risen that high is not clear.

The drop in upload speed could be the result of someone accidentally changing your profile, or it could be related to your fault - unlikely, as the U/L - D/L speeds are independent.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

SNRM and interleaving are not interlinked in the manner you infer.  What I would suspect here is that the agents have made alterations to your line and have inadvertently capped the US.

Whilst what John said is true, the BT Wholesale tools ISPs need to use to manage lines are a tad rough around the edges.  (As I understand matters) in some areas the AMEND screens are not populated with the CURRENT settings, but rather the default settings.  One such setting being the US maximum speed - 440 is the default which if not noticed when seeking to amend other parameters can result in the US being capped.  It is therefore easy to understand that potential for someone  "accidentally changing your profile" on the US when seeking to modify only the DS.

All that said, John has pointed to the need to do the basics - QLT first then...

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

marders2020

Thanks for the info and pointers to help investigate.

I've performed a quiet line test and there is no discernable noise that I can hear.  I only have a cordless phone but hopefully that is better than nothing!

Here is the info from my router...

DSL Type:ADSL

Cable Status:Connected

Link Rate:444/8776 Kbps

Connection Type:PPPoA

Network Status:Connected

Connection Uptime:52 Day 7 Hour 26 Min 13 Sec

Line State:up

Modulation:ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

Annex Mode:ANNEX_ADSL (Sync)

Uptime:2d:14h:21m:32s

UpLink / DownLink

SNR Margin:23.6 dB / 8.0 dB

Line Attenuation:30.2 dB / 55.0 dB

Output Power:12.3 dbm / 0.0 dbm

Data Rate:444 kbps / 8776 kbps

ES:38 / 65964

SES:0 / 16182

UAS:376 / 376

FEC:0 / 0

CRC:50 / 829578  

Is the Uplink/Downlink data rate the max that my line will give me or is that more of a setting that can be changed ie capped? Maybe the SNR and Attenuation are obviously a problem?

The BT wholesale speed test gave me varying results across a number of tests and the download was usually in the range of 6-7 mbps and download range was 0.13-0.34 mbps.  The additional diagnostics didn't really give me anything further, is that because I used my phone number rather than say the BBEU?  I can't seem to find the BBEU anywhere so wasn't able to put that into the test.

I really just want to know what I can ask for to be changed to improve my upload speed as it affects the usability.  Sadly plusnet say there is no guaranteed upload speed so they won't budge on the fact that the service I am recieving is really poor and not what I signed up for.  I've been complaining since the start of my contract and now I'm over 3 months in and they haven't done a thing to fix it when on the face of it it should or could be a super quick fix.

thanks for helping so far! 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

You need to ask Plusnet to uncap the US speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I agree with @Townman re: upload speed cap, but don't think you will get the maximum, looking at your line attenuation - looks like quite a long line to me.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@marders2020  It is correct that Plusnet do not guarantee upload speed but it would appear that whoever you contacted in support does not understand that it is capped at the lowest level, perhaps they are not familiar with the settings that are available on ADSL2+ lines. It used to be quite common for ADSL2+ lines to be provisioned in error with the low upload speed cap but a quick call to support would get it fixed. Have you got any ticket open for your fault? If you could reply and ask for the upload to be uncapped it may get something done. Your upload SNRM is high because the speed is capable of being a lot higher if the cap was removed. Your downstream SNRM is also a bit high, it's usual target is 6dB, you could try a single resync to see if the download speed improves. It could be a battle to get anything done by support, if you don't get anywhere there is always the official complaint route, see the link below.