Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speeds.

FIXED
Wozza2016
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Very slow speeds.

I have plusnet unlimited on a copper cable.  Since the weekend my speed cannot get above 2mbps.  It should be 5-6mbps.  Gaming is very bad.

This is with wifi on a number of different devices.

Can someone look into this for me.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Very slow speeds.

Hopefully, one of the PlusNet staff will pick this up tomorrow, but in the meantime, have you had a look at the 'ADSL - speed faults' sticky - about the third thread down from the top of this board?

John
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Wozza2016, sorry to hear your having broadband issues. Having checked your connection it looks like something is flaring up with the connection at times and causing drops as can be seen below: 

image14974388416828

As the way to cope with this and prevent further drops the automated line management will cap your speeds (1-2Mbps) so it can raise the signal strength above what's flaring up and effecting the connection. Although it seems the problem is being caused by something on your line when I'm testing it no fault is being found.

The next step then is to rule a few things out on your side before we go down the route of raising a fault and getting and engineer out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket and seeing if the drops and buffering stop. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

I will reset all the settings on the line back to where they should be and this should complete within the next hour so if you notice the drops/ slow speeds even after running through the steps above get back in touch and we can raise a fault.

Profile Info: WBC 1M - 2M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, 448 Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 23.6 43.0
SNR Margin: 24.9 18.8
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 21697 160
Speed: 444 2272

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 7392 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 5913
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 4058 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 10
Indicative Line Quality: C Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 4
Custom Thresholds

Kind regards,

Ben

Wozza2016
Dabbler

Hi Ben.

My speeds are a lot better now.  I'm getting 7mbps.  I'm a bit worried though about that graph you showed me beucase over the last couple of months we have been getting a lot disconnect and the telephone line is very noisey at random times and if the line is noisey when you pick up the phone it cuts out the internet.

What I am going to do is get a new adsl splitter and some new cabling for the phone and router and report back.

Also, I have a TPLINK router and I cannot log into it using the correct IP.  I may have to reset it in order to log into it.  I do not for the life of me understand why I cannot login.  I think it has done this before - it may be faulty?

Cheers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wozza2016 -  Assuming you are using Windows and DHCP what you can do is open a Command Prompt from the Start / Run menu then use:

C:\>ipconfig /all

to see what your network settings are.

In the output (you may need to scroll the output to see it) you’ll find an IP address for the gateway enter that IP address into your browser and it should take you to your router’s login page.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear your phone service is noisy. Testing your line isn't picking up on any issues. Let us know how you get on with the internal checks. If they don't help, it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wozza2016
Dabbler

Fix

I changed my ADSL splitter and now all is good.  I think the cable going to the phone socket plug was loose.

Cheers.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear you found the cause!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team