cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow evenings

Sheepdog
Grafter

Very slow evenings

My connection over the last few weeks has been very slow, line stats still are great  and sync at 8128/448 and in the mornings downoad at btspeedtester is 6.8 but in the evening btspeedtester drops right down to 2.89, other speedtest site Mybroadbandspeed and speedtest.net the speed can be anywhere from 1.8 to 4. Have swapped to spare router and also brought a BT ADSL faceplate to replace filter (Which has helped my upload speed a tiny bit and tidied the wires) but this has made no difference. I know my excahnge is on amber but even so it's never been this bad, the odd night it can be fine and still get 6+ speed but mostly way down, the annoying thing is paying the extra £5 for line speed in evenings etc but not getting them.
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Very slow evenings

Hi there,
Given the fact that the connection isn't dropping and you've got the best possible line profile that a 20CN connection can offer, along with the erratic evening speeds, I suspect this is down to exchange contention I'm afraid. It seems likely that it's on the busier evenings that you see the most slowdowns, whereas you get better speeds when there's not so many people in your area online.
I'm afraid there's no date set for extra capacity to be added at the moment, though as soon as we hear anything we'll certainly let you know.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1. Are there alternative VPs which are less overloaded?
2. Max Premium has proved beneficial to some people in the past as it gives higher priority on the BT network.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Sheepdog
Grafter

Matt
That's what I feared, hopefully BT will sort it out soon, exchange should go to ADSL2+ by end of March 2012 so hopefully I should see a major improvement by then 21CN etc.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The imminent 21CN upgrade will be why BT are dragging their heels on adding more 20CN capacity. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Sheepdog
Grafter

Cheers Jelv that would not surprise me. Just looking forward to the speed increase, and from what I can see it should be a nice increase from my line stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 21.0 db 9.0 db
Noise Margin 10.9 db 24.0 db
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: jelv
The imminent 21CN upgrade will be why BT are dragging their heels on adding more 20CN capacity. Sad

...or even performing maintenance on 20CN equipment Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine