cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow down speed - but can't log ticket!

randomperson

Very slow down speed - but can't log ticket!

I can't get beyond the troubleshooter when trying to create a ticket. My down speed has been consistently sitting at 0.85 Mbps  for several days (of otherwise typical 16 Mbps or so), so I definitely have a problem. However when I create a ticket for speed problems, add a note and submit, it then helpfully prompts me through the 'try troubleshoot it yourself' steps. Since the router and connection appear otherwise fine, it tells me I have no problem, and auto-closes the ticket. Answering (incorrectly) that I have a dead line or something, prompts me to talk to my line provider, and then closes the ticket. HOW DO I LOG THIS TICKET?
Expert systems like this that run you in circles without covering a common case, and make it impossible to just log a free-text query are unbelievably frustrating! I can phone them during office hours, but then I obviously won't be at home to bounce routers, run tests, etc.  Sad
Have wasted over an hour on this now; any advice?
15 REPLIES 15
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Very slow down speed - but can't log ticket!

I posted about this nearly a month ago: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136571.msg1198368.html#msg1198368
It's disgusting that nothing has been done about this by now!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've got a ticket open now which will be investigated for you. I see the original was as auto-closed, and I'd like to know the results of the questioning for it to do this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Looking into the fault itself, your sync rate seems to be fine.
What results do you get when you perform a wired test from the BT Speedtester?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
randomperson

Hi, thanks for looking into this. BT test results attached.
The ticket auto-close happens after I answer all the troubleshooter questions. Can't recall exactly, but something like: 'Dial-tone on land-line?' (I don't have a land-line phone to test this, so just answered yes). 'Plugged-in and power on?' Check. 'Broadband light solid?' Check. 'Can connect to internet?' Check. 'There doesn't seem to be a problem; auto-closing'. Nothing like 'Is your speed 20x slower than usual?', alas. I can do it again, but you'll then get another auto-closed ticket :S
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

This is an old subject which comes up again and again
Most recently
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137188.0/topicseen.html
You probably have a line fault which needs dealing with before any broadband faults. I suggest you buy yourself a cheap phone off eBay  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've got your fault with the fault team, however with such a slow speeds we need to ensure the basics have been done.
I've also done a phone test and no fault has been found.
Finally, I'm trying to work out which option was chosen for the fault to auto time-out. There are circumstances where this is acceptable (for instance, if a copper line test is found which you need to raise to your telephone provider). Personally speaking though, I think it would be friendly and better customer service for the ticket not to automatically close at all.

EDIT: Any further examples of tickets being auto closed would be appreciated. I've spoken to our problem team and with more examples we can at least raise it.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Further to my last point, there are a lot of errors on your line. Can you confirm if you've tried the connection into the master socket? I need to know, basically, if the error messages are reduced.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
randomperson

I only have one socket in this apartment, so no options there. I tried switching to a spare filter and got the same results. Download is very consistently 0.83-0.87 Mbps, i.e. not spiking up and down at all during a test, or from test to test.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

A slight odd issue is that I currently can't see any connection session for you, though I suspect this is just mis-reporting. I've got the line speed tests that you provided received when doing the speed test. The faults team will pick up and raise your fault shortly.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
randomperson

Hi Tony -- any progress? I see you logged a ticket and reported that there is a TalkTalk router somehow plugged into my line. Per my response, given that I haven't changed anything locally and still have my PlusNet router connected to my only socket, what is my next step to help resolve this?
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you dial 17070 does it tell you the correct phone number?
randomperson

I have no land-line phone to test this with  Undecided
Incidentally, if I  run a speedtest.net test, it reports TalkTalk as the ISP, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense -- unless TalkTalk is an upstream provider to PlusNet?
mwarby
Grafter

i think you need to get\borrow\buy one, to sort this fault
it looks like you may have a swapped line, in which case finding what number your connected to would be helpfull(as this will confirm if line is swapped)
If your line is swapped be carefull, as the other person who has been swapped may also be trying to get fault fixed, once one is fixed, a visting engineer will find no fault and likely raise a fault charge. You may also have a bill shock if the person who has your line is a chatterbox
jelv
Seasoned Hero

A landline handset is an essential diagnostic tool. When they only cost £5 new it's silly not to get one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5526527.htm
If nothing else it will be useful for calling 0800 numbers which at the moment can be chargeable on some mobiles.