cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow connection - potential fault. Info included

gwpmad

Very slow connection - potential fault. Info included

Hello,

I have ADSL broadband from Plusnet which is supposed to be upgraded to Fibre Extra on at the exchange 2 April (according to BT's DSL checker). But I'm concerned there is a line fault either way, and working from home with one other person in the house has become very difficult. Please could the potential fault be looked into?

I followed the steps in this pinned thread:

- Result of a BT Wholesale speedtest just now: Download speed 0 Mbps(!!), Upload speed 1.02 Mbps

- Router stats (TP-Link Archer VR900):

• Sync speed (Current Rate) (kbps) - Upstream: 443 Downstream: 16419
  • Line Attenuation(dB)- Upstream: 9.5 Downstream: 15.5
  • SNR Margin(dB) - Upstream: 30.6 Downstream: 3.1
  • Errors(pkts) - Upstream: 0 Downstream: 7

I notice there are some downstream errors recorded there.

I have also run periodic speed tests on broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk which return download speeds of between 0.6 and 1.96 Mbps and upload speeds of between 0.26 and 0.33 Mbps.

Another note is that I can only check via wifi because my laptop has no ethernet cable socket. However it is a new 2019 Macbook Pro and problems persist whether I use my Plusnet router or my TP Link one so I doubt hardware is the problem.

I'd really appreciate some help here! Working from home is very difficult as I have to make video calls a lot and they keep on lagging and dropping. I'm worried that reduced speeds will continue even when Fibre Extra starts.

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Re: Very slow connection - potential fault. Info included

Hey @gwpmad I can see since you raised this your Fibre Extra went live on the 2nd of April as expected. Your line is currently syncing at 51.4mbps download however your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is 60mbps, but as it is a new connection we need to allow 2-3 days from the upgrade to ensure there is an actual fault or issue with your service. I have raised a question on your account to follow some steps if the connection/speed doesn't improve in the next day or so. If it does get to that, just follow this link and then reply there once you've done those checks.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
gwpmad

Thanks very much @tinytaco . I'll try those steps if required and then post again in here.

Please can you let me know where you did the test to get the 51.4mbps download speed? So that I can test myself in a day or two in order to know if action is required?

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@gwpmad the test I ran was with our Suppliers, we advise our users to use a wired connection and test with www.speedtest.btwholesale.com

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team