cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow broadband and connection issues.

hevruk1
Hooked

Very slow broadband and connection issues.

Hi, over the last few months my broadband has been becoming more and more unstable. I am paying around £44per month for supposedly fast speeds and on average my download speeds are 14mbps, uploads around 12. I am unable to call any helplines due to anxiety problems so hoping I can find some assistance here. 

This is really important that I get it fixed as I am housebound and the internet is my only way to get outside contact. Have tried resetting the router to no avail. This problem has been here for a few months now and is getting worse by the day. Hoping you are able to help soon as the price I am paying is outrageous for the service received. I look forward to your help, thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Very slow broadband and connection issues.

Hi @hevruk1

I have ran some checks on your line, and everything is looking fine from our side. I can see that your speed is at the full 80Mbps and your connection has been on solid for 30 days. I have attached below a copy of the test results from your line.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 80.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass

When you ran your tests, did you run them over wired or wireless? If you ran them over wireless, would you possibly be able to run a wired speed test for me please to try and rule out a wireless issue.

On a side note, I can see a constant high upload occurring on your line. Do you have anything in the background which could be running to cause this, as if you are constantly uploading this can affect your download speed.

hevruk1
Hooked

Unfortunately I cannot do a wired test. I have done wireless beside the router and it still shows less than speeds of 15 to me. I have no idea what could be causing upload problems. 

I assure you. Am not lying about the speeds it is showing me, and the constant hanging when I try to load any sites. It is driving me insane being unable to do what I need to and terrifying when I need to make online transactions.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you’re using wireless the problem could be caused by the two WiFi frequencies being synchronised. Try separating them, see here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950. Try each frequency in turn.

Failing that try going back into the advanced wireless options and try manually changing the frequency. Ideally jade a WiFi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can see the strength of all your neighbours transmissions. With this data you can manually select the quietist channel.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hevruk1
Hooked

I have tried what was suggested and my download speed is up to 25 now. I am not technically minded in any way and to be honest I am struggling with this. 

Also I have checked whAt can cause upload probs and turned iCloud off to see if it helped, didn’t make any difference, I do not use torrents or anything so I’m stumped.

hevruk1
Hooked

Changing provider it’ll be easier. Thank you for your help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I'm rather confused as to why you think it will be easier if you change provider. Your router is in sync without issues, hence the contractual responsibility of Plusnet is satisfied. This forum is capable of providing help in excess of those contractual obligations from both very experienced Plusnet staff and fellow customers with a broad range of skills willing to spend their time trying to help.

I hope your new provider will provide the service you want.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having issues @hevruk1

I agree with @Baldrick1 in that changing provider won't necessarily fix the wireless signal on your home network.

I've asked one of my colleagues in our support team to call you back to help you with this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hevruk1
Hooked

I applied to a new provider because I tried everything and nothing made it go past 25, I am in a 14 day waiting period. I hope this can be resolved but I can’t have people ringing me, my boyfriend has no idea about anything like this and due to mental health issues I am unable to speak on the phone. As far cas contracts I am past the 18 months that wasn’t the issue

hevruk1
Hooked

@Gandalf 

i have tried all I can that I’ve red about. I get confused about stuff, unfortunately the one person that can help is away for 2 weeks. I appreciate it may be a problem on my side but I really don’t understand this stuff. I’m not being a pain, but it’s been made out his problem might continue, I payed plusnet yesterday so is there any chance of an engineer to try help?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @hevruk1,

I'm sorry that my colleague arranged a call back for you. I can see that you advised us on your initial post that you wouldn't be able to discuss this with us over the phone - I'll pass on feedback in regards to this.

I've retested your line and this does appear to be a wireless issue, as the test is still showing that your line is syncing at the full 80mbps down and 20mbps up. However, I would recommend that you run through the troubleshooting guides here to rule out any underlying connection issues. If possible, I would strongly recommend that you check if any of your friends or family would be able to lend you a device that you can run a wired speedtest on as this will confirm whether this is purely a wireless issue.

In terms of an engineer visit, I wouldn't recommend one in this case as if the engineer determined that your line was syncing at the correct speed up to the master socket they wouldn't be able to provide any assistance with the issue as this is where their and our responsibility to provide service ends and they cannot deal with any wireless issues. If your service is working as it should up to the master socket our suppliers would also levy a charge for the visit as it would be deemed an unnecessary visit. We cover the majority of this charge but £65 would be passed on to you so I definitely wouldn't recommend an engineer visit unless you achieve poor speeds on the wired speed test and the troubleshooting checks above don't resolve the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hevruk1
Hooked

@EmilyD Thank you for your help.

i will no longer be requesting an engineer as I cannot afford this. My brother will be back from holiday in a couple of weeks and I shall have to wait for his assistance as we don’t own a wired device. I was unable to perform Speedtest on BT speedtest one but I have been using speedtest.net.

The last 2 days I was receiving 14-24 download and 13-15 upload. Today I have just done it and it was 48 download. Not sure what’s made a difference since everything I was told to do didn’t make any difference before. Since there is very little else I can do till my brother returns I will have to get back to you when he can. Again thanks for your assistance.