Did you mean: 

Very slow FTTC upload speed, not happy :(

Fru
Dabbler

Very slow FTTC upload speed, not happy :(

Re: Question #83490538
Hi all,
A quick background story...
I originally had a BT engineer visit as I was getting erratic pings, he tested and found lots of errors so replaced the final piece of cable coming into the house, which cured the errors and fixed the ping spikes.
After the visit PlusNet did a line test and noticed the upload speed was very slow - 0.8mbps compared to my download speed of 23mbps. They raised another engineer visit which happened yesterday.
He was here for three hours and checked pretty much everything, even switching to a different cable between me and the cabinet and switching ports within the cabinet. He said the line itself is absolutely fine, no errors. But I'm still stuck with this 23mb down, 0.8 mb up.  He thought it was most likely a configuration error somewhere, so he left yesterday saying he'd escalate it back to BTW / PlusNet.
This morning PlusNet have closed the ticket as resolved, saying that as the distance to the cabinet is quite far (1.1km), this was the reason for the slow upload speed.
I'm not happy with this, especially as the engineer said he'd attended another customer just round the corner from me who is getting 'at least 2mb' upload speed.
I'm no expert, but could this be a profile problem? The test that PlusNet did stated:
Profile Name 15M-30M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Does this mean that the profile is limiting the upload to 0.8?
I'd really appreciate some help with this.
Thank You
PS. Just done some more speed tests and I'm currently uploading at about 0.59mbps!

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Very slow FTTC upload speed, not happy :(

Hi there,
Diagnostic checks I've just run are still indicating a problem so we should be continuing to investigate this despite the length of the line.
I've rejected the clear on the fault and the next step is likely to be another engineer visit so let me know if that's something you'd like to press ahead with.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Fru
Dabbler

Hi Adam,  thanks for the quick response.
I would like to escalate this further,  I'm not convinced this is the best upload speed possible.
I'm off work for the rest of this week so if another visit is needed, if we could fit it in this week it would be ideal.  Although I'm not sure what it would achieve as the last guy was convinced it wasn't a line fault.
Have you checked profile settings etc?
Thank you.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm off work for the rest of this week so if another visit is needed, if we could fit it in this week it would be ideal.  Although I'm not sure what it would achieve as the last guy was convinced it wasn't a line fault.

Cheers, we'll keep that in mind.
Have you checked profile settings etc

The upstream isn't profiled by ourselves in the same way as downstream so that's not the issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team