cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low upstream with my tplink TD-W8960N

Mak1995
Hooked

Very low upstream with my tplink TD-W8960N

I moved recntly and had a new router which has been really hard to deal with , sometimes the upstream drops to 60 kbps and it's no more functional at this point , other times it's 240 kbps and it works well ping is about 120 ms
Can you help me fix this or at least understand what's going on
Is the problem in the router itself or the SP ?
I tried to contact my SP and explain my problem but they kept saying i have to check my wiring .
By the way sorry my english isn't so good .
12 REPLIES 12
Mak1995
Hooked

Re: Very low upstream with my tplink TD-W8960N

Statistics of my xDsl connection are shown in the screenshots attached above
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Something very wrong there; hopefully someone from PN will be along soon.
Use the BT Wholesale link below to see your phone line's capabilities.
Also try PN's fault checker service.
Mak1995
Hooked

Thank you for replying
I'll try some of these tests and see what i get
the problem is i don't have my pc with me now Sad
Thanks again
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I note that you are using ADSL g.dmt - which if I recall correctly is just plain ADSL. Can you use ADSL 2+ (g992.5) which will give access to more frequencies, and the possibility of greater speeds?

Otherwise your margin is 6.8/8.0 dB (Down/up) which is a bit high - but not horrible.

So my guess is you are a far way from the exchange?

Your Error Seconds - well its cumulative, so we can only say 118 since the router was reset, but not know when it was last reset - can't say much. But of that was a day, 118ES per day should be fine.

So in what has been posted so far there doesn't seem anything obvious to take the line down. Probably what you'll end up doing is looking for patterns. Does the line go down (e.g. change speed) at a certain time of the day, is it correlated with something switching on or off?

The slow ping is in part caused by the 32 interleave depth. Oddly you should get better ping with larger margin, and slower speed - as then you could use less interleave so have quicker ping, but less data flow. So partially a question of what you need.

So no answers yet, just the suggestion to keep investigating ...

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Mak1995, thanks for your post.

On checking the line, we're beginning to see a pattern emerge of long periods of disconnection between midnight and 4am. as shown in the below graph:

image15441217059374

Are you by any chance powering down your router when you go to bed at night?

On running further diagnostics we aren't detecting any sort of fault as the below GEA illustrates:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID <REDACTED> Service ID <REDACTED>

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 391.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-11-23T18:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 40.0 Mbps 40.0 Mbps 40.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-12-06T18:08:31Z 2018-12-06T18:23:31Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

With the above results I'm leaning heavily towards those daily disconnections being the cause of your Upstream woes, in which case, I'd advise not powering the router down every night.

If this isn't the case, and you're unaware of why these disconnections are happening please let us know.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@OskarPapa somethings is not right, the OP is using an ADSL router, so is never going to get those speeds with it!

Mak1995
Hooked

Thanks @summers for your reply
I logged into my router sittings >dsl disabled the check box of ADSL g.dmt
And enabled ADSL +2
But my router lost connection with ISP
And there were no sign of life
So should i contact my ISP to get it done ?
I googled how to set interleave depth (i don't have a good background on networks) and it turns out my ISP is the one capable of modifying the interleave depth
as i said in the main post my ISP isn't helping , i live in Syria , so far as all we know ISPs aren't the only wrong thing here
I'll keep looking to see if i can spot a pattern as u said
Thanks for all your support
Mak1995
Hooked

Hi @OskaraPapa thanks for replying
It would've been so heart warming if those were my charts but we don't have such speed here in Syria
I'm originally using a 2mp download 1mp upload internet speed , we are talking about mega bits not bytes .
And no i don't turn of my router but every 2 hours electricity goes out for 2h so i run my generator would this by any chance do any harm to the router
Mak1995
Hooked

Sorry . @OskarPapa
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

So the OP isn't even a PN customer living in the UK - it would have been VERY helpful to have that important information at the start! Grin

John
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Usually on your DSL settings you can set it to probe whats available, and it will usually chose the best. Anyway in your case seems clear you can just do plain ADSL. Now I was going to say thats unusual these days in the UK, most of us can get ADSL 2+, but lower down mention you are from Syria.

This is where it gets harder, this forum is mainly for people using the plusnet ISP in the UK, so all staff are plusnet, and only know how that ISP is configured. So here we won't be the best people to answer your problem, we don't have experience with your local conditions. E.g. the regular power cuts, and switching to a generator - this stands a good chance of taking the router down. Now if this happens regularly, with the UK DLM it would trash the link. However for you in Syria, if everyone has power cuts/brown outs - then your ISP probably knows this, and has configured the DLM appropriately. Alas we can't know how this has been done. Local users at your end will surely know what is typical where you are.

Sideline on Interleaving. Suggest you leave this on default. Greater picture, Interleaving is used becuase ADSL has error correction as part of how it works, this is needed as typical ADSL lines are noisy, but you need to get relaiable data across a noisy line. Anyway interleaving makes this error correction more efficient, and that why its used - and why you don't want to turn it off. However a side effect is it gives latency. My gut feeling though, unless you are someone who needs very low latency (e.g. online gaming) - this is best left at its default setting, but is worth noting what it is, as it does affect latency - so just note if that is the case.

Anyway hope you manage to get to the bottom of the problems, and Sorry - but I'm not sure how much help we can be here in the UK, our set up is quite specific to the UK in the detail, and thats important ...

Mak1995
Hooked

thank you so much @summers and sorry for wasting everyone time i thought this is some kind of online community like Quora XD i'm stupid my bad

i'm so sorry , i appreciate all the advice and help everyone offered