cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very inexperienced person needs help!

kelcou

Very inexperienced person needs help!

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place for my queries or not but I guess if I don't ask I won't find out.
First of all its absolutely important you understand my complete and utter lack of broadband knowledge. Its a little less than zero. So if you can offer me any advice, please try to keep to three syllabuls or less and assume I have the active intellect of a four year old. [and even then, where this is concerned, I suspect I'm boasting!].
This morning I was an eager recipient of the bits and pieces I need to leave 18th century dial-up and enter 21st centurt connectivity.
Tonight I want to repackage the bits and pieces and send them back to plusnet, say forget broadband and stick with dial-up. It may be mindblowingly slow but at least I know it works.
Yep. I'm ignorant and frustrated. Not a good combination.
I've followed the instructions to the letter. My broadband username and password is correct, including case sensitivity.
My microfilter is fitted correctly. As is the DSL cable [whatever that is] and the ethernet cable. [Thought that maybe I did'nt have an ethernet port but the funny little symbol on my pc matches up with the funny little ethernet symbol google images tells me should be there].
The box the stuff came in proudly declares me as the owner of a D-Link DSL-2640B Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router from which I took the ethernet option. [I don't have a wireless USB adapter just yet. Well, no-one had mentioned I needed one...]
As I mentioned, I followed all the instructions - as far as I can tell - but the D-Link log on page [or whatever you may call it] indicates that I'm offline. As does the router by showing the internet light in red.
I assume the router is working fine as when I logged on through aol dial-up to ask for help the router's internet light is now green.
I followed the pamphlets troubleshooting and ticked whatever it asked me to in the internet connection part of my control panel, rebooted the router et al but still get nowhere.
I appreciate the fault probably lies in my ignorance.
The only thing i can think of is that aol is interferring in some way. I don't want to delete aol - whilst i may dislike the application it at least gets me online!
I have no clue. All I can think of at the moment is saying 'stuff it' I should have signed up for aol broadband under the assumption of 'better the devil you know...'
Also, maybe its a software problem. I really don't understand this broadband thing. On dial-up I have aol loaded in my pc. I call the software up, it dials a number, it accesses the internet and goes to the aol homepage.
As far as I can tell broadband does'nt phone anybody but just waves its Harry Potter wand at the nearest telephone exchange and - hey presto! - you have a connection. Am I missing something here? I have downloaded Firefox as that was one of the things suggested in the 'requirements' list on the hardware box. As far as I know its sat happily on my pc but maybe I need to introduce it formally to the broadband router?
I hope someone out there has some idea's!
[God, I HATE technology!]
If not I'll try the phone helpline - online help in a slow dial-up world is pointless.
Otherwise its return to sender and me saying 'hi' to the dark ages of dial-up for ever...
Regards
kelcou
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Very inexperienced person needs help!

Quote from: kelcou
My microfilter is fitted correctly. As is the DSL cable [whatever that is] and the ethernet cable. [Thought that maybe I did'nt have an ethernet port but the funny little symbol on my pc matches up with the funny little ethernet symbol google images tells me should be there].

You can get to the router interface so your ethernet connection is fine.
As I mentioned, I followed all the instructions - as far as I can tell - but the D-Link log on page [or whatever you may call it] indicates that I'm offline. As does the router by showing the internet light in red.

The fact the Internet light is red indicates that your kit isn't synchronising with the exchange properly. What this means is that your router isn't picking up the broadband signal. It indicates a problem between the exchange right back to the router (including your filtering/wiring etc.).
I assume the router is working fine as when I logged on through aol dial-up to ask for help the router's internet light is now green.

Now that's the interesting bit. That means that when you dialled up using your own modem, the link between the router and the exchange was successfully established. This suggests that you're wiring or filtering is what's at fault. Bear in mind that *all* telephony devices connected to your line will need to be connected via a filter. this includes dial up modems, telephones, fax machines, sky boxes etc. even if they're not on the same socket as your router. failure to do this will create interference on the line that will knock your ADSL connection offline.
Checking your account, you actually connected at about 11:15pm and have been online since so your router is connected (I'd imagine this has been since you connected using your dial up modem):
PN BBYW 	195.166.128.76 	active 	00:29 03/Apr/2008 	unknown (Interim update) 	87.114.x.x 	Not set 		23:14 02/Apr/2008 	N/A 	  1:21:45 (on going)

The only thing i can think of is that aol is interferring in some way. I don't want to delete aol - whilst i may dislike the application it at least gets me online!

You need to disconnect your dial up modem and make sure the router is all connected up with the Internet light Green. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools > Internet Options and select the Connections tab. Make sure the 'Never Dial a Connection' radio button is selected.
Also, maybe its a software problem. I really don't understand this broadband thing. On dial-up I have aol loaded in my pc. I call the software up, it dials a number, it accesses the internet and goes to the aol homepage.

You don't dial-up using your router. It's the router that establishes the connection for you. there is no dial-up software required. Even with your PC off, the router can connect to us on it's own accord as long as it's all plugged in and powered up.
If you're still having difficulties then give our support team a call on 0114 296 5188 - We're 24/7 so somebody will be there to help you now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kelcou

Hi Bob,
Thankyou for such a swift and considered response - and in a language I can understand!
I'm going to follow up on what you have suggested tomorrow - it's a little late now and I need to save an hour for reading a couple of forums on dial-up... lol
I know 'never dial a connection' is ticked. But I think maybe Sky is a possible culprit. I have nothing in the house other than my phone. But, about ten years ago I had Sky. After a short while it proved too expensive - and cr** - but the line is probably still here somewhere. Maybe thats interferring somehow.
['though thinking about it for a fraction of a second, if I'm not using it or it is'nt 'live' would it still be a problem?]
Anyway, I'll follow your comments tomorrow and see what happens. Again, thankyou for your reply and I'm definately leaning towards plusnet as opposed to [yeesh!] dial-up...
best regards
kelcou
kelcou

Hi Bob / support,
All is working as it should be now and my panic is over!
As I said, it was probably my own ignorance / impatience but I'm glad to have joined the 21st century at long last.
Many thanks
Kelcou
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Brilliant
Please stay around and join the chatter Smiley
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager