cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Unstable Connection Over Past Few Days

Nocturne
Grafter

Very Unstable Connection Over Past Few Days

For the last couple of years I've used the Technicolor TG582n,  Firmware  8.4.4.J, provided by PN and normally have a sync speed of between 8 and 9 mbs.
The TSNM has been 3 db for a good many months. Interleaving is on.
From last winter through to this summer the connection was very stable with continuous connection of up to two months or more.
This has deteriorated over the last few months although not excessively.
Subsequent reference to CRC errors are Downstream errors.
I have a BT 'Faceplate' installed by BT to their socket approx 9 years ago which has one outlet for the phone and one for the Router.
I have never used Wi-Fi and use an ethernet cable appprox 4-5 mtrs in length connected direct to the router.
The BT phone is rarely connected to the socket since I can't stand the nuisance calls and normally rely on a mobile.
With a 3 db TSNM, it is normally the case that making a phone call using the BT line, CRC errors are generated causing loss of sync.
This previously has not normally been an issue with higher TSNM.
I did have the same issue nine years ago which resulted in BT digging up the garden and undertaking, from my knowledge and experience, a rather crude albeit nominally effective repair.
14th October
8.4 mbs TSNM 3 db
15:50 hrs - the connection became very unstable.
Between 15:50 hrs and 17:50 I lost sync 12 times
TSNM maintained at 3 db
IIRC powered the router down overnight
15th October
16:00 - reconnected Router (left powered up thereafter) - Numerous losses of sync through to
22:19 hrs - TSNM maintained at 3 db
Subsequently no apparent sync achieved until following day
16th October
00:02 hrs - synced at 2.842 with I believe a TSNM of 9 db
Thereafter the connection has continued to be very unstable
17th October
09:57 hrs - loss of sync - very few CRC's thereafter - connected BT phone - loss of sync following incoming nuisance call
Disconnected BT Phone - followed by repeated loss of sync
18th October
04:48 hrs - lost sync and re-synced at 2.268 (again) - accumulated relatively modest 603 CRC's by
11:54 hrs - Tried speed test on Speedtest.net. IIRC achieved around 1.7 mbs.
They offer a separate facility to specifically test the 'ping' so I thought it couldn't do any harm - famous last words.
Part way through I lost sync and re-synced at 1.15 mbs. Sync held, so far, for seven hours with no CRC errors.
Over the last few days I temporarily changed the Router for a Speedtouch 585 and experienced no change in performance/stability.
I disconnected my normal PC from the Internet and connected my old PC using the Technicolor Router with the same result.
I've carried out the 'Quiet Line' test and what I can only describe as a modest hissing noise was evident. There was no crackling or similar.
The connection is obviously very unstable. After loss of sync it appears it can take a number of 'attempts' before it re-syncs.
The RouterStats logs periodically show no IP Address although no apparent loss of sync.
The Internet is obviously very slow compared to a few days ago. Several hundred CRC's in 10 seconds is not unusual.
Thank you in advance for any advice on how best to pursue this.
Edit: A few of images to illustrate the issues.
01 - 24 hr graph for the period ended 12:04 hrs today. The final loss of sync was during the Ping Test per above
02 - 24 hr graph as above
03 - graph of the 'bits' at 12:02 hrs today which means nothing to me
04 - 09:28 hrs - Router Stats per Routerstats - included because the number of Upstream CRC's is significantly higher than Downstream which I've never observed before
I have many other images, typically covering two hour periods which I can post if it would be helpful.
One concern now is that the connection over the last eight hours has been very stable with no CRC errors.
I hope this doesn't suggest my connection is deemed 'stable' and not therefore a problem - it is for me.
13 REPLIES 13
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Very Unstable Connection Over Past Few Days

Golly - that looks bad  ( understatement)
More knowledgeable members may be on later but  as you have done most of the testing I would go for a fault report asap
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-i-have-a-fault/
Just a couple of things to check first may be  have you got a test socket inside the faceplate on your master socket. If you do then you should connect direct to that.
Do you have any extensions (used or not)?    Also have you tried a new filter - they can break down and in all the changes just check you did replace it and also
check for any bent or non shiny pins in sockets/plugs.
Nocturne
Grafter

99% of the time the only connection whatsoever to the BT socket is from the router direct to the relevant socket on the faceplate.
As such I don't use a filter since my understanding is that there is a filter built in.
I'm not sure if the filter is built into the faceplate or an integral part of the socket.
I suspect the former. If no advice in that respect is forthcoming I may have to investigate.
Thank you
cedlor
Grafter

A picture of your faceplate might help. They have issued a few in the last 9 years some were not too good.
I suspect a line fault but you need to check all your internal stuff first.
Something else i to check is if anything is going on with your exchange (upgrade to fibre??) or other maintainance - increase in number of openreach vans about?
Also does your 582n have a usb socket?
Nocturne
Grafter

Quick check suggests nothing significant at the local BT Exchange.
OpenReach vans have certainly been in the vicinity by the BT Pillar at the entrance to the estate but that isn't uncommon.
Neighbours a few doors away had BT digging in their garden a year or so back.
Suspect they had the same problem I had nine years ago, and others previously, of faulty resin filled joints failing and allowing water in.
In my case they left the faulty joint in situ so I can't see anything stopping the water working its way into the new joint a foot away, eventually.
But that's speculation on my part.
Quick speed check etc on BT Wholesale suggests that nothing is obviously amiss and that anything down to 0.4 mbs is acceptable on my line.
Not quite as acceptable however as the 8.5+ mbs I'm used to.
No USB on Router
Image which hopefully I have uploaded is my BT faceplate.
cedlor
Grafter

Yes that one does have a filter (assuming its still working)  but it should also have a test socket inside.
Really need CRT to do a line test on this.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi Nocturne.
I have run some checks for you and I can see some significant drops over the past couple of day's. The results from tests through our suppliers show there isn't anything a miss on the line. Because of this can you run these checks through this link please and let me know if anything changes. If not we will raise a fault with our suppliers for the issue.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/
Nocturne
Grafter

I've checked the link you posted.
I undertook a BT Wholesale speed test last night, 18th October, at approx 10:40hrs with a connection of 1.15 mbs.
It suggested that my line was OK and that my speed was acceptable.
I undertook a further Quiet Line Test today with a corded phone and I couldn't discern any noise whatsoever.
From one of the videos I understand my style of BT Master Socket does not have a separate test socket behind the faceplate and I therefore continue to simply plug the router into the faceplate.
If there is a test socket should the router be connected direct to the test socket or through an in-line filter.
If a separate filter is required there could be an alternative approach.
As mentioned earlier I had a similar issue nine years ago. Although there was an external fault the BT engineer kindly installed their own faceplate as an alternative to the similar unit I had installed.
I still have the faceplate which he removed, with dedicated router outlet, which is probably now ten years old, so could in theory try that in place of the BT faceplate which has been in use for nine years.
I will obviously be guided by you in that respect.
The connection is reasonably stable at the moment at 1.15 mbs.
It has lost sync twice today, so far, on both occasions with significant downstream CRC errors.
Please advise if you require any further information or action on my part.
Many thanks
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just for information, the DSL part of the faceplate (and any mictrofilter) is actually unfiltered and effectively just provides a means of connecting the modem (router) cable (typically RJ12) to the BT telephone socket.
I believe that the ADSL V1.0 should be removable to reveal a normal test socket behind, you'd usually need a normal microfilter just to provide a connection for the modem cable if using the test socket.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Nocturne
Grafter

Is it not possible to connect the router direct to the test socket without using an in-line filter ie a lead with the appropriate plugs/sockets on each end.
That would avoid having to use an in-line filter which removes one more element, the filter, from the equation.
Thanks w23

Ben B:
Apologies for jumping the gun but I swapped the BT faceplate for the slightly older one, visually identical in every respect, referred to in my previous post at 14:00 hrs today 20 th October
No obvious difference yet which no doubt is not unexpected.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Nocturne
Is it not possible to connect the router direct to the test socket without using an in-line filter ie a lead with the appropriate plugs/sockets on each end.

Yes you can.- I believe the "filter" in the inline type only filters the ADSL signals on the phone side.
dick:green Quote fixed.
Nocturne
Grafter

09:14 hrs 22nd October:
Since 11:54 hrs 18th October I've been on 1.15 mbs.
I replaced the Faceplate on the BT Master Socket at 14:10 hrs on 20th October and so far after around 43 hours there appear to have been remarkably few errors, excluding FEC's as per usual with my connection.
Image attached Router Stats as of now - '04...'.
During the 24 hrs prior to changing the Faceplate there had been many hundreds of assorted errors.
{ Edit: Image added showing Router Stats for a 3 hour period  - '042...' }
It may be simply a coincidence, or perhaps the problem is diminishing, unless things are happening that I have no knowledge of.
I suspect that PN may ask me to connect direct to the Test Socket, even though things seem to have improved, so to avoid further delay I'm tempted to do so sooner rather than later.
Is it too soon to have another re-sync and should I therefore leave it rather longer to avoid upsetting BT's systems even further.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The upstream speed looks OK in the latest stats, whereas earlier the upstream was totally ruined at about 200k. But the downstream speed has been "banded" by the DLM to 1.15Mb. If replacing the faceplate has solved the problem, then all you need is for Plusnet to remove the banding to restore the downstream speed.
Nocturne
Grafter

Thank You - ejs
Attempted to raise a Ticket and going round in circles trying to do so.
Invited to watch videos, view tips on all manner of issues, filling in a query only to be told the 'Broadband Checker' has given up - some sort of problem.
Tried chat with 'Michael J' - 5 mins later he initiated 'tweak' on their systems and asked me to wait 4 hours before initiating a re-sync.
30 seconds later router re-sync of its own accord - Now sync at 7759 and an apparent TSNM of 6.
Lost connection with 'Michael J' after re-sync  -  if any PN staff available please extend my thanks - chatting with a real person was infinitely better than trying to negotiate the impenetrable automated systems.
Surprised changing the Faceplate on the BT Master Socket for a 10 year old alternative seems to have cured the problem.
Most of the time the phone wasn't connected and extremely rarely used. Perhaps the filter was causing issues nonetheless. 'cedlor' could well have been right after all.
Hopefully there isn't an underlying issue still lurking around.
Edit: What if anything can be deduced from significantly higher Upstream as against Downstream and Local as against Remote errors ie is the cause more likely to be my side of the Master Socket than BT's side or as I suspect is it not that simple.