cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN using TG582

redwood

VPN using TG582

I've just switched to FTTC, on ADSL I had a VPN link set up on a Netgear DG834. Is this possible with the TC TG852. I've read through the 'full manual'  at http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/telecom-wireless-full-technical.pdf but can find no mention of such, in fact as a full manual it's pretty lacking.
Thanks in advance for any help
Robin
5 REPLIES 5
prichardson
Grafter

Re: VPN using TG582

Hi Robin,
The TG582n does not provide a IPSec VPN server within it, as such it is not possible to setup a tunnel from a remote client to your fibre connection.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

This is about the cheapest VPN capable router I can find on broadbandbuyer http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13120
No idea how good it is...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

redwood

Thanks Phil, confirms my suspicions
MisterW, thanks for the link. I've used TP Link kit (but not a router) in the past and been satisfied with it's performance. The Netgear DGND3700v1 looked promising but has been replaced with the DGND3700v2 which does not support VPN
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

If you've got an old PC lying about somewhere with a couple of network cards then you could always use someting like IPcop , ClearOS or Smoothwall etc as your router. We use Smoothwall in the office but I'm not sure if the latest free Smoothwall express supports ISPec VPNs out of the box.
OR see if you can pick up a router on ebay that's supported by DD-WRT ( they should be pretty easy to find ) since that's now available with OpenVPN support.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

redwood

I do have a  couple of spare PC's but not one I'd be prepared to leave on 24/7.
DD-WRT looks interesting, I have used it in the past or I might just go for a Netgear FVS318N, this is similar to the router installed at the other end.
No rush to do anything, I'll get xmas and the new year out of the way, then re-consider...