cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working using TG585 v7 (Software Release: 8.2.23.0) & OS X 10.6.3

Meerkat

VPN not working using TG585 v7 (Software Release: 8.2.23.0) & OS X 10.6.3

Hi all
I'm having trouble accessing VPN (i.e. it's not working!) and having done some research on here from what I can understand (i'm not overly tech-savy) there are known issues with the router software (I have TG585 v7, Software Release: 8.2.23.0)?
A thread I read talked about needing to update this and gave windows instructions, does anyone know how to do it using Snowleopard? (OS X 10.6.3)
Many thanks for any help/advice!
PS Have checked that my firewall is set as 'off'.
4 REPLIES 4
7_

Re: VPN not working using TG585 v7 (Software Release: 8.2.23.0) & OS X 10.6.3

I couldn't connect to a VPN using TG585 v7.  I didn't find Customer Support very helpful, they directed me to forums which told me what I'd already tried.  As a result I've gone to a competitor which is more expensive but good service.  I think the VPN issue has got something to do with bandwidth.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Hi there,
VPN ( PPTP ) doesnt work on f/w version 8.2.23.0 , you need to upgrade to 8.2.6.5 , see here
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
I'm pretty sure the upgrade utility will only run on windows though...
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Meerkat

Thanks 7 and Mister W.
VPN isn't essential, would just be icing on the cake, so not something I'd leave for. Yet.
It's a real shame they've only got a Window's work-around for the upgrade - I assume i can't be the only Mac user wanting to use VPN?!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The issue is with the router, not with PN per se.
I don't have a PN supplied router, bought my own which I can upgrade from my Mac and works fine with a VPN. Does seem a bit shortsighted of PN to provide a router that you can only update the firmware from a windows box.
There are a few options I can see for you:
1) Try the upgrade process under Wine (allows you run windows programs) see here or paid for app Crossover which is a nice polished Wine - trial available
2) Install something like VirtualBox and get XP on it.
3) Buy a new router
4) Try asking PN to send you a flashed router as you can't do it yourself because what they've provided doesn't work.
HTH
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'