cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP problem when using Technicolor TG582n router

hill47
Grafter

VOIP problem when using Technicolor TG582n router

Problems with Technicolor TG582n when using VOIP telephone services.
The Technicolor TG582 router can cause  problems when using  VOIP telephone services.
I was using a Lynsys VOIP adapter with the VOIP service provided by Plusnet which stopped working.  There was no dial tone and the phone indicator lamps were out.
After checking all the settings, I decided that the adapter had failed and scrapped it.
I then enrolled with voipfone and purchased one of their adapters, which is almost identical to the Linksys adapter I had.  The service worked for a few days and then stopped, exhibiting the same symptoms I had with the Plusnet service.  I contacted voipfone support and was given the following information.
It describes a known problem with the Technicolor router and gives the solution.  There is a setting that needs to be changed using telnet, it cannot be done via the usual web interface.
I am pleased to say that the phone service now works again.
Please find instructions on disabling SIP ALG on the Thomson/Technicolor Router:
Open a Command Prompt window, e.g:
Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' into this box --> Press Enter
At the prompt, type telnet 192.168.1.254 and press Enter
(this is the default ip address)  Note there is a space after the word telnet.
Login using admin and the password for the router .
Press Enter
Then type:  connection unbind application=SIP port=5060
Press Enter
saveall
Press  enter
exit
Press  enter
If you have not used telnet before, it will need to be enabled, see:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/910.how-to-enable-telnet-client-in-window...
Please be aware, that the budget version of the Technicolor TG582n (no usb socket on side/commonly supplied by Plusnet) is known to automatically re-enable SIP ALG with most changes made in the Web UI. For example, renaming the wireless network, changing the security key, or adding devices to use same IP, any port forwarding rules etc.
Voipfone Customer Services
3 REPLIES 3
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: VOIP problem when using Technicolor TG582n router

Thanks for the guidance, it will *not* affect all VOIP phones services but obviously in your instance it has.
hill47
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification Chris, but could it have been the router affecting the VOIP service I was getting from Plusnet?
Geoff  (User hill47)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It wouldn't have been affecting the PlsuNet voip service if you were using the outbound proxy. That uses port 5082 and so the SIP ALG would not be detecting that as SIP traffic.
BTW quite a lot of routers have 'broken' SIP ALG's and need disabling not just the TG582. Mostly the only ones that work are those routers which have voip(SIP) facilities builtin.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.