cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBMU ...trouble getting out of bed in the morning?

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

VBMU ...trouble getting out of bed in the morning?

I raise the question as my VBMU record over the past two weeks (see below) shows no free usage since Wednesday 20th.
My router gets switched off overnight but I nearly always reconnect between 7:30 and 8:00 in the morning, sometimes before. Typical usage is as shown for 18th and 19th. I know from previous responses to such queries that some usage close to 8am will be discarded as it will not be reported to PN until later, but the absence of any record suggests something else may be happening. More specifically on Sunday 24th I downloaded two files and these are recorded as 43.8MB at 07:29 and 41.2MB at 07:32 - but the VBMU records no usage.
Clearly this is not a problem for me but I wondered if someone at PN might want to ponder on this to check if something may be amiss ... or provide an explanation.
Cliff
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: VBMU ...trouble getting out of bed in the morning?

Hi Cliff,
I've had a look into the CBC Usage logs that we receive from BT and it really does look like there hasn't been any usage during your off peak.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Thanks for checking and responding James.
So it looks as if it's BT having trouble getting out of bed in the morning  ;). I have certainly connected each morning, during the period shown, before 8am and I have the two files mentioned on my PC.
However, I won't be losing any sleep over the matter myself.
Cliff
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can I suggest you try connecting, downloading, disconnecting and then reconnecting all before 8am - I think that will see the usage recorded as that should produce separate entries in the logs. The first usage report after 8am is discarded as PN have no way of telling how much of that was before and how much was after 8am.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Jelv - When BBYW first started I noted, recorded and reported to PN that some of my pre-8am usage was being shown incorrectly in the VBMU and at that time included in my paid-for allowance. The only way that I could get my records and the VBMU to correspond was to do as you say, disconnect before 8am and reconnect after. Since PN started disregarding the first report after 8am this discrepancy has had no financial consequence and so I stopped doing the disconnect/reconnect.
I normally expect the last 10-15 minutes of usage to be disregarded in this way (I seem to remember someone from PN mentioning these figures in the past) but this time now seems to have extended and was surprised when the downloads, 30 minutes before 8am, were disregarded in this way. I therefore wondered if something has changed ...or gone wrong. But it seems from James' response that it's BT that not reporting the usage so neither PN or myself are suffering financially and so therefore we can probably let the matter drop.
Cliff
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Remember that the reports of usage are not at fixed time intervals, so the first report after 8am which is dropped could be for 5 minutes or for much longer. I don't know what the criteria is for when the reports are made. All in all the variability can make it pretty confusing!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

The reports are received every 15 minutes and about 5% are not received.  We always drop the interim packet (ie: the one going over the off peak to peak threshold).