Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usual download speed query!!

Jimsky
Grafter

Usual download speed query!!

Hi all,
I am on my 12th day of upgrading to fibre optic and have been watching he speeds along the way as you do?
But my query is when I first signed up with the usual  +1/-1 stuff I was quoted with 51mps download speeds which looked good!!!
BUT!!! I would be more than happy with 40-50mps but I have found I'm getting between 12 and 28 max!!!
I have done the bt speedtest which says my max possible is 28.69 am I on the right profile??? I pay the max price Grin
Jim
119 REPLIES 119
Jimsky
Grafter

Re: Usual download speed query!!

Also to say I have just done speedtest.net and also got 27 down 6up (12 quoted)so consistent in that sense?? (Wired)
Basically I'm getting half!!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Jimsky, welcome to the forums.
Did you run the Further Diagnostics after the initial speedtest?
Where did the 28.69 figure come from? Was that the BT IP profile for the Line by any chance?
If you run the BTw speedtest again and then the Further Diagnostics, just do a copy and paste of the results here.
Jimsky
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
Yes it was from the further diagnostics test
I'll do another speedtest 2morrow which will be exactly 2weeks after install then post the results.
I did do one the other day and It said contact ISP but I put that down to settling of speeds?Huh
Jim
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again Jim.
It does sound as though your line is giving a Profile well below what was estimated. When you do run the Diagnostic Test, do copy and paste the full result in a post. Hopefully a Plusnet DCT member will look into that.
It also sounds like some of the lower download speed results you've had may be because of the wider Network problems mentioned in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0/topicseen.html which is also affecting speed. The more recent pages give a better picture of the current situation.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Jimsky,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with the speed of your Fibre Service. I've taken a quick look and can see that your speeds are a lot lower than we would expect given that you have a speed estimate of 50Mb. Could you please complete http://faults.plus.net so our Faults Team can take a look further into this for you.
Jimsky
Grafter

FAQ

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
27.46 Mbps

0 Mbps 28.69 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 27.46 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-28.69 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 28.69 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.9 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.9Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what i did today at 3:14pm using wired connection and all other devices in the house turned off!!!
1 other thing i must say is that the open reach engineer that installed it converted my 2nd box in the house to the master as he said when he tested them both "theres no difference between the 2"
Chris i've followed the link you suggested but have to do 3 tests!!! it seems over the last couple of days it has stayed at this level?
Connected on PCL-ag07 by the way
Jim
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jim,
That's fine, if you have completed the Speed Tester (it looks like you have) just move onto the next step Smiley
Jimsky
Grafter

Thx Chris,
Plus net have performed internal tests and found no faults but have escalated to engineer! Just waiting to here as tested level found to be at 27mps a lot lower than the quoted 51?
Jim
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorted Smiley
Jimsky
Grafter

Chris
Update,
Engineer called saturday am as expected (nice Chap) I now have NO Broadband!!! Not syncing  Sad
He said he needs to get to top of poll but needed a crane which wasnt available, so he was hoping to come back monday or tuesday?
Plz can you make sure its the same engineer that carries this through to the end? amazing how internet is important these days, i was thinking of turning the electricity off and going back to candles for the weekend  Grin
Oh ive had to come to work on a sunday to right this
Jim
Jimsky
Grafter

Further update, I have NO PHONE OR BROADBAND!!!!  Cry
Jimsky
Grafter

Phone rings from outside IN but of very poor quality!!!
Jimsky
Grafter

This gets worse by the moment, My neighbour  has knocked on the door saying she has no phone or broadband (Talk Talk) now our phone works but crackling line!!!
What has that bloody engineer done??????
Come on sort this out PlZ
Anotherone
Champion

She better report her's to TT pretty quick. If Openreach get a report quickly they may realise there could be some common problem.