cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the router to time limit wireless connections

JPN
Rising Star

Using the router to time limit wireless connections

I wish to switch off the wireless connection on the TG582n router overnight.  I've found the wireless time settings in the menus, but have had mixed success using them.  Firstly, if I try to set it up using a wireless (android) device, then once I enter the times required and 'apply' the connection fails, and I lose all wireless connectivity. I then have to connect via a wired link and switch off the wireless scheduling.
When I set up using a wired link, to start with it kept replacing my selected times with it's own defaults.  I eventually managed to insist it uses mine!
So far, so good. I have the system responding to the scheduled times.  Problem is that I want the wireless available until around 1am, and then off until around 0600.  The scheduling system only seems to work based on midnight to midnight.  I've 'kludged' this by running the timing from 06:00 to 23:55 and then from 00:05 'till 01:00  but this creates a ten minute gap across midnight which is irritating.  If I use 06:00 to 24:00 and 00:00 to 01:00 the system refuses to take it, and the wireless link deactivates.
Any suggestions how to set this up so that it runs uninteruppted over midnight?
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Using the router to time limit wireless connections

Hi,
I've just taken a look at the router UI and can see that the available times change depending upon on what has already been selected.
Quote from: JPN
If I use 06:00 to 24:00 and 00:00 to 01:00 the system refuses to take it, and the wireless link deactivates.

Does Session-1: 00:00 to 01:00 and Session-2: 06:00 to 24:00 work?  I'm being pedantic - this might be what you've already tried, but I thought I'd just make sure.  I do not want to try applying this to my setup as I only have wifi connectivity.
Another approach (I know this works) is to set the time limits device by device and then disable "any station can connect".  You'll need to register each permitted device first.
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JPN
Rising Star

Re: Using the router to time limit wireless connections

Hi Townman,
That does help, thanks.  I had actually entered it your way round (the logic stops you doing it the other way). Entering those values makes it revert to the defaults (0700-1200 and 1300-2200) and freezes the wireless. Looking at it again after your note prompted me to change the entry slightly - by having session 1 as 0000 to 0100 and session two as 0600 to2355 I've managed to get the gap down to five minutes. (Assuming it works correctly tonight).
So it's not the fact that the on/off time is at 0000 or 2400 that is the issue, it's that it sees 00:00 and 24:00 as the same time and won't accept them, even though they are meant to be 24hrs apart. (If I'm reading that correctly).  I could bring the shut off forward to midnight, but I may find that generates revolt in the household!  If the time settings were to 1min rather than 5mins the gap would probably be workable.
Most of my connections are wired, so it's not a big issue for me, but I can imagine that someone on a wireless only setup could get stymied by this. The system should do  a check and report incompatible time sets before it disconnects you!
The device time access control is certainly a way to go, but it takes a fair bit more time working out which device is which, and then setting each one up. Very flexible though, I may well use this. 
Thanks for the input.