cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an O2 router with Plusnet - flashing firmware question

nikhilvijayan

Using an O2 router with Plusnet - flashing firmware question

Hi there,
I'm trying to use a O2 router (Thomson 585) that a friend has to use with a Plusnet ADSL connection. I called the Plusnet line and a very helpful tech said I could flash the router firmware and basically upload the new firmware found http://community.plus.net/library/uncategorized/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-... turning the router into a Plusnet router.
so I've downloaded the appropriate drivers etc, but when trying to flash the firmware - on the 5th step on the link above, it asks me for a username and password for the thomson gateway. I've tried 'Administrator' as username and the serial number (in caps) found below the router to log in (found here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/t585v7.shtml#routerDetails) but doesn't seem to let me through (Yes, I've tried this after resetting the factory settings from http://192.168.1.254 )
Can someone possibly think of anything else that might be wrong?! it's driving me insane as I work over the internet and I'm generally used to having access to the internet.
Thanks for all those who can help suggest improvements!!!
8 REPLIES 8
artificer
Grafter

Re: Using an O2 router with Plusnet - flashing firmware question

most routers seem to default to 'admin' and 'password'.  see if that works.  have you asked your friend if he's changed the password?
nikhilvijayan

@artificer I've tried 'admin' & 'password' but no luck
I'm pretty close to giving up and just getting a new router that works out of the box.
Anyone else?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried the hard reset method ?
Resetting your router
If you have any problems setting up your Thomson Gateway, you can reset it and start again.
Use a paperclip, pen or pointed object to press into the reset pin hole on the back of the router. Keep the button pressed in for at least 7 seconds. When the power light goes red, release the button and wait until the power light turns green again.
fceluk
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
most routers seem to default to 'admin' and 'password'.

...or 'admin' and 'admin'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I have a feeling that the O2 version of the TG585 is pretty well 'locked' to O2. Sad

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nikhilvijayan,
After a hard reset the password should default to the serial number on the router. The possible usernames are admin, Admin or Administrator (the capital A being important in both the latter cases)
Jojo Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
After a hard reset the password should default to the serial number on the router. The possible usernames are admin, Admin or Administrator (the capital A being important in both the latter cases)

Unlike netgear routers the above will not work but try
Username:   SuperUser
Password:   O2Br0ad64nd   (thats digits 2064 and the first O and B being capital letters)
Both are case sensite.
If the above username and password has failed and you are sure that you have entered it in correctly, then the password may have already been changed to:
Username:    SuperUser
Password:    Serial number – which is located on the bottom of your O2 wireless box and will look like CPxxxxxxxxx (11 characters).
I still dont think you can unlock an 02 router i.e get rid of the 02 branding/firmware
Speedtouch router can be found on ebay for less than £10  i brought some (10)speedtouch 716wl for 99p each  just ask before you bid are they lock/branded for a network provider
Puddy
for more info on 02 router settings http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?NEW,KB=Companion,ts=care2_5_customer,question=ref...
nikhilvijayan

Thanks to everyone for replying, it's been a busy couple of days (without internet) to be able to find this thread. After about four straight days of tinketing with the router - I decided to give in and just get an unlocked Netgear router (which is what I'm using to be online right now).
It's unfortunate that corporations try to control devices the way they do, and I've said that about operating systems, phones etc.
Oh well Sad thanks again to all who helped!