cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VPN and not being able to Print.

LukeAger
Grafter

Using VPN and not being able to Print.

Hi, Not sure if this belongs in another area but I suspect this is a routing issue so put it here.
I use a VPN when working and it works fine for almost everything except printing locally.
The printer works fine when I disconnect from the VPN.
My vpn is issueing a 10.17.x.x. ip address which It has to have to connect to the vpn server.
My Ethernet adapter pics up 192.168.x.x via DHCP, as does everything else within the office, including the printer.
lets say im 192.168.1.5 and the printer is .10............ Everything runs smoothly until I connect to the VPN at which point all traffic is going out through the VPN and missing the printer. Is there a way with the pnet routers to recognise traffic intended for 192.168.1.10(printer) and keep that local... or any way to split the vpn tunnel trafic.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Using VPN and not being able to Print.

This is nothing to do with the router, it's the way your VPN client is manipulating the routing tables in your PC.  You may be able to add a static route to your PC to overcome the limitation?
LukeAger
Grafter

I had a quick look at the split tunnel vpn stuff online but we use cisco anyconnect secure mobility and it does not look like I can edit any of the settings from this machine for that Sad
gwillym
Grafter

Another security feature of the VPN product is that it does not allow printing to local printers (i.e connected directly to your PC or on your local network)
kgk86
Grafter

It seems that Cisco Anyconnect has been set up as a full tunnel meaning that ALL traffic from the connected workstation is routed through your VPN gateway, your company has probably done this to minimise intrusion risk from your local network.
Maybe speak to your IT department to relax the policy on the client?
LukeAger
Grafter

will Drop them an email and hopefully get something sorted. thanks Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Luke,
This is a very common practice - the VPN in effect establishes a firewall between the VPN tunnel and your local network.  Once connected, your PC can no longer access the local network at any level, including the PN gateway and DNS servers.  This is the way my previous employer configured things, however they did make provisions for access to 192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.* to allow for connection to local printers.  This is something which you might discuss with your IT department.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.