Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Apple Airport Extreme on Plusnet Fibre

chartford
Grafter

Using Apple Airport Extreme on Plusnet Fibre

Hello everyone - I'm new here so please treat me gently!  Smiley
I have just signed up for Plusnet's 120 GB fibre optic broadband service and it is being installed next week.  Whilst I will use the provided Plusnet router to begin with during the first 10 days "teaching" period for my line in case there are any problems I need to ring Plusnet about, I then want to swap to my Apple Time Capsule (which includes inbuilt Apple Airport Extreme).  This is already set up with my internal LAN and is much easier for me to use with a strong wifi signal throughout the house.
I know it is possible to use an Airport Extreme in this way, but could some kind person give me some advice as to the log-in details I will need for the PPoE settings on it, and any other settings I may need to tweak?  Gateway IP address?  IP Subnet Mask? Or will I just need my Account Username and Account Password, and that's it?
Thanks so much for any help and advice on this.
I am really looking forward to having fibre optic broadband installed!  I'm a bit worried about the 120GB limit as I do a lot of iPlayer, iTunes movies and Spotify streaming, and what with that and all the Apple software updates and continuous iPhone app updates and iCloud syncing, I wonder if I should really have gone for an unlimited connection with BT.  I know it's unlimited between midnight and 8 a.m. but I'm normally in bed during those hours.  Fingers crossed it works out.  I've been on unlimited with BE Broadband for a long time, so I have no idea really how much I use a month.
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Using Apple Airport Extreme on Plusnet Fibre

Welcome to the forum chartford Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

One of our bright sparks, MisterW seems to think it's simple enough, here. Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Thanks JoJo, I was sure I'd advised on this before but couldn't find the post.
I note that no-one on that thread actually confirmed that it worked, but I'm sure they would have got back if it didn't!! Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MisterW,
I just googled it like this inurl:community.plus.net Apple Time Capsule
Jojo Smiley
chartford
Grafter

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your help.
From MisterW's reply: "You're right, you should be able to use the Time capsule to replace the Netgear router. You will need to configure the time capsule WAN for a PPPOE connection using your PlusNet login details"  it would seem that all I need to do is to put in my PlusNet Account Username and Account Password.  It seems I don't need to know anything else or change anything else?  Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm self-taught on an ADSL Netgear modem router and I never really understand what all the technical terms mean.  
That's fantastic if so!  I'll give it a try next week and see what happens.  In case anyone else wishes to try, I will also report back.  Thanks again for your help.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, it would be nice to know, as the person MisterW advised last time didn't come back (which normally means it worked!) Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: chartford
Whilst I will use the provided Plusnet router to begin with during the first 10 days "teaching" period for my line in case there are any problems I need to ring Plusnet about

With fibre, the DLM process in the cabinet usually works out what to do within the first 2-3 days (though faster if things are *really* bad).
It is also the modem that is most important to keep plugged in to the line (which Openreach supply) for that time - You aren't going to cause any problems on the line by using a different router from the one Plusnet supply, or by making many changes to the router, or by making many connections/disconnections in the router control panel. Just leave the modem plugged in and synced, and you can play with the router side to your heart's content.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
chartford
Grafter

Good news!  I'll do that - thanks WWWombat