Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet speeds

JEB
Grafter

Usenet speeds

Evening

I originally posted this in plusnet.service.customer-feedback but I don't think many people read this anymore so I thought I would post here as well:
Is anyone else seeing very low Usenet download speeds.  Mine are currently 2 KB/s, occasionally 'peaking' at 10 KB/s.
I appreciate that it is peak hours and Usenet traffic is low priority,
but I would expect slightly higher speeds!
I would also point out that this is not a one-off occurrence.

James
65 REPLIES 65
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Usenet speeds

James,
What account type are you on? I had terrible Usenet speeds last night and they were still below 512kbps at about 1:30am. I've come in today and asked around and nobody else seemed to be suffering though so I assumed it was something at my end.
Remember, speeds will be pretty poor when the network is busy but I must admit they seemed lower than usual to me last night despite the network being in balance.
I'll ask Dave when he gets in as he's the resident traffic management guru.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JEB
Grafter

I'm on Premier Option 1.  Like I mentioned in my original post the speeds can be very low quite often.  On Tuesday night / Wednesday morning for example the speed was about 16 KB/s when I went to bed about 12:20 in the morning.  Although it clearly must have sped up later as a download was finished when I checked early the next morning.
I don't expect to be able to download at my line rate during peak hours, however it would be good to get a minimum of say 512kps.
Web downloads work much quicker so it must be due to the traffic shaping.

James
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Usenet speeds yesterday were very poor, I gave up completely around 2pm, speed did pick up after the 4pm watershed.
Speeds are a bit better today, around 30-40 kB/s
Byw Opt. 4 account
Paul
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: JEB
I'm on Premier Option 1.

Same as me then.
I don't expect to be able to download at my line rate during peak hours, however it would be good to get a minimum of say 512kps.

They will be lower at times I'm afraid and the Premier product is subject to reactive changes so things are tweaked fairly regularly depending on traffic trends, and overall network performance.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JEB
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
They will be lower at times I'm afraid and the Premier product is subject to reactive changes so things are tweaked fairly regularly depending on traffic trends, and overall network performance.

Last night it would have been nice to get 228 kps!
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect huge speeds during peak hours, I just thought I would post as 2 KB/s is very slow and I thought there may have been a problem.

James
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I'm wondering if it's down to the school holidays. The beginning of the week it was a little quieter than normal for a Monday and Tuesday and the last couple of days then network looks a little busier. There's certainly more HTTP traffic in an afternoon over the last couple of days from Broadband Plus customers in particular which would account for the lower usenet speeds in the afternoon. Probably also has a knock on to the speeds just after midnight too, if speeds have been lower then there's probably more downloading at midnight than normal.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: dave
I'm wondering if it's down to the school holidays. The beginning of the week it was a little quieter than normal for a Monday and Tuesday and the last couple of days then network looks a little busier.

But is anything going to be done about it?
Again this morning speeds have dropped to around 15kB/s. I think it's about time usenet users are given a fairer share of the cake - after all you seem to be quite happy to take our money and I see no reason why we should have to put with less 'value for money' than http users.
Paul
JEB
Grafter

Usenet was very slow at 1:30 this morning and even slower now.
Could someone from Plusnet check to make sure that I am on the correct traffic management profile?  I'm sure that I read somewhere that the recent router maintenance work on AG1 (which I am connected) could mean that customers were put onto a default traffic management profile.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find where I read this now!

James
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The default profile issue was mentioned in the relevant Service Status message for the Ellacoya relocations.  Restarting the router should ensure the correct traffic management profile is in use.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The network is very out of balance as there was a BT issue that dropped a load of users a day or two ago.
Yesterday I was seeing 5kB/s on one gateway and line speed on another when using Usenet Sad
Look here for the premier non-interactive average figure. thn-ag1 and thn-ag3 are the best gateways to be on.
(BTW, some may notice that the ptn graphs are broke. That's following the work here and will be fixed soon.)
Disconnecting and reconnecting may get you on o different gateway.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
thn-ag1 and thn-ag3 are the best gateways to be on.

Its getting on them that is the problem, I tried reconnecting several times yesterday afternoon and managed to get on every gateway except the quiet ones - which is probably why they are quiet!
Paul
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hmmm not bad.
Just did a PlusNet speed test which returned 6821 on thn-ag1 which for here is quite fast.
I power everything down when I've done as my 18 month old grandson likes to play with it.
Next time I suppose I will be on a different gateway  Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rneilg
Grafter

Hi at this very moment i am dowloading off usenet at 26.5kbs.
It was 800kbs this time laast week.
My line, PC and modem are fine.
I had a warning that my peak time usage was almost reached - have i been secretly capped? shouldnt it be fast this time of morning (dun 11.20)?
a normal HTTP download e.g. MS service pack is fast - so i am confident this is down to capping.
Any answers?
Thanks Neil.
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: rneilg
Hi at this very moment i am dowloading off usenet at 26.5kbs.

That looks about right at the moment- Things went downhill mid week after all the mods PN done. They really should learn to leave things alone when its running ok