Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet speeds after midnight close to 0 kb/s

JEB
Grafter

Usenet speeds after midnight close to 0 kb/s

Hi
Well I think the subject says it all.
It is now 1:15 and since just before midnight my usenet speed is very close to 0 kb/s literally.  Given that it is off peak I would expect something better.  I can download via http at my line rate so it strikes me as if something is up with the traffic management.  Could someone from PlusNET take a look (not now, in the morning will be fine!)

James
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Usenet speeds after midnight close to 0 kb/s

It midnight a lot of users kick off their free overnight downloads so the system takes a big hit for an hour or so. As Usenet is the at lowest priority that is obviously going to take the biggest hit.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tobykim
Grafter

It's the same on Pro though which it shouldn't be, you expect a drop between 12-12.30 but after that ti should buck up it not the case now, I was lucky to see anything up to 2mbps last night and that was after 1am had to shuffle gateways and even that wasn't much better, I still think that capacity is suffering as it's going at full rate now
JEB
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
It midnight a lot of users kick off their free overnight downloads so the system takes a big hit for an hour or so. As Usenet is the at lowest priority that is obviously going to take the biggest hit.

I have no problem with usenet having a lower priority but I was literally getting close to 0 kb/s last night and this only improved to about 8 kb/s at 2am.  Couldn't the priorities be rejigged so that usenet speeds are half way decent rather then unusable?

James