Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet problems?

daveyb
Grafter

Usenet problems?

Hi,
Most of my usenet articles are coming up with errors and I'm also getting duplicate usenet postings going back quite sometime (but all showing up as new messages)  Huh
The service status for usenet is green.
Is anyone else experiencing this or is it something at my end?
Thanks, David
6 REPLIES 6
daveyb
Grafter

Re: Usenet problems?

OK, I've just found this article:
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/07/23/new-usenet-platform-now-open-for-testing/
about a new usenet platform, which says that all history will be lost & we need to resubscribe.
I'm astounded - is this really the best that can be done?  Angry
I've got posts that were of interest or relevant flagged in my reader and suddenly I appear to have completely lost everything.
Some newsgroups don't even seem to exist on the new platform anymore (eg. mailing.unix.rsync, comp.os.linux, etc.).
Is this affecting anyone else?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You have to treat the new usenet service as if you have switched to another usenet provider (which is actually what has happened) so in that situation you are likely to loose both any history of downloaded threads and have different group availability.
There is nothing that can be done in this case because PN are no longer using their usernet hardware.
It does clearly state this in the latest service status here
As for the groups no longer available I suggest you raise a ticket and see if PN can get Supernews to add the groups.
plusnetsux
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
you are likely to loose

lose not loose for the 1,304th time
7th_star
Grafter

Thats rather pedantic of you seeing as you don't use capitals or any appropriate punctuation in any of your posts!
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Children, Children.
Please! play nicely or I'll be sitting on someone pretty quickly  Grin
Plusnetsux, please read the link:rules before you get accused of trolling these parts - take this as a gypsies warning Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: daveyb
OK, I've just found this article:
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/07/23/new-usenet-platform-now-open-for-testing/
about a new usenet platform, which says that all history will be lost & we need to resubscribe.
I'm astounded - is this really the best that can be done?  Angry

I'm afraid it is unfortunately. Your reader will mark posts based on the way they are numbered. The article numbering on Supernews' server is completely different to the numbering on the old server. This is why your reader will be downloading duplicate posts and showing some as expired.
I've got posts that were of interest or relevant flagged in my reader and suddenly I appear to have completely lost everything.

Apologies for the inconvenience. We did try to provide advance notice of the change. There has been a 6 month service status thread, numerous blog posts and a planned maintenance announcement. If you haven't done already then I'd advise you subscribe to the Service Status RSS or Email feed.
Some newsgroups don't even seem to exist on the new platform anymore (eg. mailing.unix.rsync, comp.os.linux, etc.).

There may well be a good reason for this. See here for further detail. If you would like to request the addition of another group then please raise a ticket on your account so we can look into the possibility of having it added.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵