cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useage increased but can't think why...

Manda1976

Useage increased but can't think why...

Hi Plusnet support, I'm on BBYW option2 15gb limit. This has been normally fine and plenty of gb for my daily/weekly/monthly useage working out at about 12gb/month. However last month and this my daily useage is about 25% more per day and this will easily tip me over 15gb/month. Last month I assumed it was because I was looking at lots of holiday sites that were picture heavy, but this month I'm browsing the same as ever (pre-last month) but my useage still seems high. I have all the same browsers & windows open, nothing has changed, is there a reason for more gigabytes being used? No-one is stealing my bandwidth and I've checked with anti-virus and malwarebytes about any 'trojans' or such like.
I realise I can easily swap (although it will cost £3/month more!) to Plusnet Extra (edit) with 60gb/month. It's just I can't see a reason for the 'extra' useage. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.  Smiley
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Useage increased but can't think why...

From your post I assume that you are on a Market 1 exchange as if you are on a Market 2 or 3 exchange Extra will be cheaper - this isn't Plusnet Pro which AFAIK didn't have a 60GB allowance
To answer your question - I suggest installing Networx http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ which will identify when it is happening
Manda1976

Hi Jim, yeah I meant Extra - didn't check the name! We're whichever Market is the one no-one else wants cos we're out in the sticks!
I run Networx and that just shows a similar effect. I wondered if it was a bit like a tap - Plusnet had just turned the tap open a bit more and so things were d/ling a bit faster and hence more coming through? Dunno I did see that the throttling on Extra seemed to have been changed recently (? is that right), there seems less throttle on it now than when I last wondered about upgrading - I think when we got a new tv and I was wondering about iPlayer and so on, but in the end I couldn't be bothered and we don't use iPlayer et al at all.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I can't really help but I have noticed a similar effect - no real change in browsing habits and usage went up from just under 10GB (Value) to 12 - 15GB for no obvious reason so I moved to Extra
Manda1976

Lol! Very Reggie Perrin!  Cheesy
Is there any cons about upgrading to Extra? As it's just an upgrade I presume there won't be any extra (sic!) charges?
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No cons whatsoever unless you go over the 60GB allowance then you get charged in 5GB chunks instead of 1GB but you can and should set the extra spend to zero after the change which will mean that if you exceed the allowance you are slowed to 256kbps sec
Manda1976

How long does an upgrade take?
Should I wait until I've used this months 15gb and then upgrade?  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

it happens at your next billing date
Manda1976

So as long as I ask before my next billing date this month, well 5th Oct I think, then from 6th Oct I'll be on Extra?
Are there any other charges? Will it mean a 12 month contract?
Ta.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No - you will stay on the 10 day rolling contract and there are no charges to change
Manda1976

If I chose to jump ship - I see BT packages are a similar price but there's a few offers about - can I keep my Plusnet email addresses and if so how?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

only by paying for it
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml
It is possible, when requesting an account cancellation, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £20 a year instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some member centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just going back to the original point on an unexplained uplift in usage... I've seen a significant increase in the last week or so with one day in particular being massive. I put this down to Windows updates and the like but the fact that others are seeing an odd pattern makes me think that something else has changed.
I'm keeping an eagle eye on VMBU at the moment but it shows no usage for today.
IS there a usage reporting problem that needs to be looked at?
Manda1976

Ah, a sneaky change - used to be free to downgrade to a 'dial-up account' to keep your emails!
Ta.
@the groundsman - interesting. I saw similar not sure about updates, I remember one evening the laptop went to 'install updates & shut down'...but as for the other general increase...  Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: the
I'm keeping an eagle eye on VMBU at the moment but it shows no usage for today.
IS there a usage reporting problem that needs to be looked at?

The large total usage box on my VMBU page does not increase through the day until suddenly catching up a few minutes before 6PM. The daily and weekly totals do increase. After that the total usage keeps in step as it used to throughout the day. I understand a few users are affected by this problem and an internal problem has been raised to fix it. My product is Extra, don't know if the problem is specific to that product.
David