cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of pre-existing extension for fibre install?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Use of pre-existing extension for fibre install?

I stumbled across this in another thread:
I strongly advise  that when you arrange your install ask for an extension to your master socket to place it near to whichever computer you'll be using the most. It will be done FOC.

Presumably this is referring the the installation of a 'Data Extension Kit' that I've seen mention of?
Well, I was wondering if it is possible for them to use pre-existing wiring, assuming of course it is deemed of sufficient quality? The reason I ask is that my master socket is in the hall - I'm waiting for the day someone actually slices it off the wall when coming through the door with a heavy bag - and so I fitted an XTE-2005 faceplate with the (filtered) extension wiring heading off to the telephone extension points and a piece of (unfiltered) CAT5e running to a dedicated socket in the understairs cupboard where the modem and other networking kit lives.
This piece of CAT5e is hidden away in the fabric of the building and so I was wondering if it could be used in place of the wiring of the Data Extension Kit as I'd obviously prefer this to what I am assuming would a surface-run piece of cable normally provided.
Fully concious that as BT are holding responsibility for everything upto/into the modem they might not want to do this but I wondered that if they could satisfy themselves of the quality/integrity of the wiring that they'd be willing to use it?
12 REPLIES 12
apjashley1
Grafter

Re: Use of pre-existing extension for fibre install?

Isn't CAT5e fully suitable for telephone wiring anyway? I'm sure your solution is technically adequate and will be a far sight neater
MJN
Pro

I have no doubts about the technical sufficiency but it's more whether or not BT's policy allows it...
To be fair, my wiring could have intermediate connections along it and be wrapped around my central heating pump for all they know hence I could understand a blanket policy of 'if an extension is required it has to be fitted by us' given that they will in effect be taking on responsibility for its performance once the service starts.
I suppose there's always the option of:
Me: 'Any chance you could utilise my existing Cat5 wiring for the extension?'
BT: 'Sorry son, not allowed'
Me: 'Not even for a Hob Nob?'
BT: 'No. Anyway, I hate Hob Nobs'
Me: 'Okay, just install the modem in the hall'
BT: 'What, right in front of the door?'
Me: 'Yeah. I'd rather than that skirting-mounted wiring'
BT: 'Fair enough guv'
<engineer installs and leaves>
Me: <rewires master socket to incorporate my Cat5 extension and plugs modem into extension socket under stairs>

...but I'd rather play by the rules if at all possible for everyone's benefit!
Estragon
Rising Star

Several people have reported elsewhere that the engineer has been willing to use their pre-installed Cat5. I expect it is up to the engineer's discretion when on site and able to see it.
You could always let him install it at the master, (he only has to check the connection back to the cabinet is OK, it isn't a manage install like the BT Home Hub is), just making sure he doesn't wall-mount it! Then move it once he has gone.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

It should be CW1308 but in practice CAT5e works fine for phone wiring although it has a different impedance.
The Openreach guys who installed my fibre setup happily used my existing wiring (I'd used CW1308 though) which like the OP's is routed out of sight through the house. They told me they'd have to run their own cable afterwards if the installation testing showed a problem. I'd expect them to do the same with the CAT5 if asked nicely  Wink as the worst that could happen is that they'd have to run their own.
It's Openreach that's a plank. I've always found that the guys on the job are just fine.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Estragon
Rising Star

I'm pretty sure CW1308 shouldn't be used for resiting the FTTC modem.
CX
Grafter

I imagine that as far as the engineer is concerned, he doesn't want to be pulled up for carrying out an installation that isn't to Openreach spec, if there is a fault later on. Not every customer is going to say, at the time of the fault investigation, "well, the original engineer did install it at the master socket and screwed it to the wall as he was supposed to, but we have decorated since, hence you can't see that we moved it a few weeks back".
MJN
Pro

I'll see how we get on if/when we go for fibre. At least I'm not hearing stories that the engineer wouldn't entertain the idea of using existing wiring but for good measure I'll make sure we've got the premium biscuits in and may also work on Elmo, our ginger cat, to learn a Puss-in-Boots-from-Shrek face (he's half way there already).
Estragon
Rising Star

Similary, several have accepted pre-installed filtered faceplates such as yours. Those cannot be used with the new interstitial filter, and he'd have to disconnect any the extensions from yours and connect them to an NTE5A he would have to provide.
If he refuses and does fit an NTE5A, make sure he leaves you your own faceplate.  The ones that do fit an NTE5A tend to waltz off with the existing faceplate.
MJN
Pro

Ah, that's interesting... Just run that by me again? He may just plug the fibre modem straight into my current faceplate (thus I could plug it into the dedicated extension myself afterwards), or have I misunderstood?
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Estragon
I'm pretty sure CW1308 shouldn't be used for resiting the FTTC modem.

Nope - it's CW1308. Same specification as carries the signal from the cabinet to the Master socket.
As I said earlier CAT5e is technically wrong as it introduces an impedance change, but given that none of BT's connections are matched anyway it doesn't matter overly.
(And the guys that did my install didn't steal my filtered faceplate either so I sold it on Ebay  ;))
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: MJN
Just run that by me again? He may just plug the fibre modem straight into my current faceplate
Yes. Probably not if you don't request him to at the start.
MJN
Pro

Okay thanks. I guess it's a case if waiting and seeing what's doable on the day.