cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use extension lead on router?

mbeale

Use extension lead on router?

Hi
I've just signed up to PN and waiting for activation. Just planning ahead of where to locate the wireless router and wondering if ideally should be plugged direct into BT socket or use an extension lead  to locate elsewhere?
Only asking as i've also got Sky HD, which a) needs to be plugged into phone line and b) Sky's OnDemand Anytime servivce (may) be launched soon which uses the Ethernet port on the HD box.
Is it advisable to put a phone / wireless next to TV / HD Box?
Other option is to run Cat 5 and a phone line from Sky Box around room to Phone point.
thanks Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Use extension lead on router?

Hi mbeale,
We'd always advise against using an extension lead to be honest and would recommend going down the wireless route.
TBH I can't see you having any issues putting your router next to the HD box as long as both devices have at least some space around them to allow for ventilation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sorry to butt in briefly.
Does that advice also cover hard wired BT ones? ( Extension out let has BT logo). Doesn't wireless itself have a negative effect on speed?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No, wireless transmissions should not impact on the overall speed of your connection. Also to clarify BT fitted extensions should be fine but the BT master socket will always give you the best chance of gaining the best from your connection.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mbeale

Many thanks for advice...
Luzern
Hero

Hi Adam.Thanks for replying.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Not a problem  Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
scootie
Grafter

Only asking as i've also got Sky HD, which a) needs to be plugged into phone line and b) Sky's OnDemand Anytime servivce (may) be launched soon which uses the Ethernet port on the HD box.

you can use things called homeplugs now, they act as an ethernet cable but you just plug them into your power sockets and use your houses wiring to send the data. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/3-solwiseplug.html .
think you should be ok running a phone extension to the sky box as the broadband signal is not traveling over it. just be mindful of the route it takes as you want to limit any rf interfrence it can pick up
Luzern
Hero

@Asbo Dog
Those in your link seem expensive in comparison with some advertised here http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplugs-at-a-glance.htm?gclid=CM6Lm4-m26ECFReX2AodS2cQKg
What should one be looking for in a Home Plug Specification or avoid?
scootie
Grafter

The link i posted was to a review of any homeplug i could find to give you an idea of what they was.
There are cheaper ones in the solwise range, i've not had a chance to play with any homeplug's yet but from what i've been told the solwise are good .
here is a list of plusnet customers that have used them http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SMJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=+site:...