Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

Looks like You're not having much luck are you I feel your frustration @OwldChap

I've  known phone faults and  broadband faults  to take a lot longer  than 6 months to be correctly diagnosed and fixed.

The  latest disconnects of phone and broadband you've experienced could be due to Openreach working on your line to attempt a fix.  No one would attempt to deliberately make things worse for you. It would be highly illegal to do so. 

you may wonder why Openreach don't just replace your line . They need to try everything else first to rule out other reasons for the fault. Then if all the  components in the delivery of your service are working as they should they may or may not then consider replacing the line.   I've  known isps simply say unfortunately we cannot supply you with a service because the infrastructure is not capable of delivering it.  There is no come back if thats what they tell you. And no other isp will be able to supply you if Openreach say this. Then it's the end of the line so to speak  

Regulations governing the contract you agreed  to over the supply of phone broadband limit what compensation can be awarded in the event of faults. Your best bet is to seek a a gesture of goodwill rather than any cash compensation.

As always  good luck! 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @OwldChap ,

Thank you for the update.

Whilst I can appreciate that you don't like using the ticketing system it is unfortunately the only way we are able to communicate sensitive account information to you.

I can see that the Advocate you mention did indeed send you a ticket located here.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not sure I can offer much practical help...

@OwldChap wrote:

Thank you @runhare for your as always helpful and interesting post

If I may comment. 

1) Just shows it doe’ not mater how clever an idea it is to “bodge” something, it just highlights the short-sightedness of not putting the proper investment in to do a proper job at the time. Britain sufferd this for many years which is why we are were we are.

"A little bit of politics."

https://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/how-the-uk-lost-the-broadband-race-in-1990-1224784

2)That is very true but that does not diminish the importance of the problem of the customer with the problem or the poor comprehension of what is relayed to Plusnet.

I know myself how frustrating it is if you are suffering, as I once was, from multiple intermittent line faults.

3) I think BT / PN will be well ahead in that respect, 40 years of paying line rental a proportion of which is supposed to go to maintenance of the telephone line plus as you point out in 2 that if the vast majority do not require assistance then their line rental will covert the short fall as did my contributions did over the years when I did not get any assistance.

4) Yes FTTC may be a more suitable choice, but as I have said I cannot justify the additional cost for just general web browsing especial when on a pension. AS for reliability this exact behaviour was apparent when I was using BT FTTC and goes back to June 2018. Openreach had apparently no remedy to the problem then diagnosed as an underground fault between the pole and street cabinet other than to change the pair if Openreach are to believed they have now done this three times without a resolution to the problem which gives rise to my scepticism of Openreach. There may be some doubt about the conductor material of the cables according to visiting engineers.

The trouble is, three parties are involved: You, the ISP (here Plusnet) and Openworld. Then there are all those rules and regulations about how this is all supposed to work vs the practical realities - especially given many ADSL problems are caused by intermittent line faults.

5) 2.7km or 1.7miles as confirmed by an engineer and service drawings while it is not ideal it is far from extreme as you mention it is more likely to be the very poor condition of the infrastructure that make the line perform poorly. I have mentioned to PlusNet that if it is no worth while perusing a remedy to the problem then they should say so and give it up as a bad job, No response from PlusNet

Perhaps, if it really is proved to the infrastructure, you need to get together with as many of your neighbours similarly effected to kick up a public stink with BT/Openreach?

6) I have mentioned above the reliability of FTTC in my area. As for the bullying issue that is regarding an engineers visit that did not happen, testing that did not happen and the replacement of the NTE5C Mk4 master socket replacement twice in a fortnight that did not happen and PlusNet forceful insistence that all this did happen in the Members Centre.

Forget about these issues - it isn't personal (unless somebody makes it so!) it's just the cussed wiring. You need to forget about the BB for now and focus on the line/noise problems.

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @runhare for your informative post.

Yes you are probably correct about some of the disconnect but as this is the only Telephone I have then PlusNet could at least have the courtesy to say that the service is going to be cut off completely but then again the Telephone and broadband are useless any way Noise on the line and constantly dropping broadband very worrying hope there is no emergency.

PlusNet please confirm that the infrastructure is not capable of delivering the service because what they are providing at the moment is not a service, I am fed up to the back teeth with it.

I have offered a to depart a few times to PlusNet now and that this problem should be given up as a bad job as the service is not fit for purpose and close the account but I am just ignored or that I am just talking rubbish.

There are other providers in the area I live that do not use Openreach infrastructure, in fact all of the properties near me are on another network.

I have started to gather my evidence for the  Ombudsman's Service so see what happens there.

Thank you for your good wishes my luck ran out when I signed up to PlusNet a very sorry shadow of its former self, dealing with PlusNet is disaster after disaster they seem unprofessional and not very competent.

Thank you for your post @OskarPapa 

I do not think I have said I object to using the Members Centre notes but as I have written above I will continue to keep members updated with these recurring problems for their interest, reference or indifference that is the members choice.

@pvmb Thank you for the points you raise, interesting article you pointed out.

PlusNet have more than sufficient information about the problems and they have chosen to ignore the facts and have gone about it in their own way it was PlusNet that emphasised the broadband rather than the noise on the line.

As an older person I do take it as personal when my word is not believed and find it insulting that I am regarded as a liar I do have the security footage tha over looks the aprouch to my frount door to back up my words.   

I May Old But I’m No Fool (Except For Moving Here)
OwldChap
Grafter

Notice to PlusNet staff on here there is no need to update the members centre notes Thank you.

Very clever PlusNet new layout in Members Centre do not like it.

Where have you hidden "My Questions" in Members Centre? Spent an hour searching for it.

Why has "My Questions" been removed from the Members Centre?

Two months on Fault still not fully repaired. 

Still a murmur of noise on telephone line.

Interleave Depth Downstream 96 Upstream 4

High Line attenuation 49dB

High Downstream SNR 8.7

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

We'll pass your feedback on regarding the changes

I've also made your case handler aware that the connection issues are ongoing

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OwldChap
Grafter

Notice to PlusNet staff on here there is no need to update the members centre notes or notify the member of the advocates team. Thank you.

Logged into Members centre still no direct access from there to Members Centre Question Notes and it does not show in summary as suggested by the member of the advocates team, not surprising really something else that doe's not on PlusNet. I had to use a link provided by forum member SpendLessTime on thread "Most engineers ever involved? DSL speed issues progressed to line disconnection - Still not solved!", Message number 181. which I managed to find my current Members Centre Question Notes. The layout is very poor and very basic not very good for an older person to use. Only PlusNet could initiate something that is incomplete it just seem that PlusNet get some sort of satisfaction out of frustrating their clients.    

More drops in connection this morning:-.

07:08:29, 8 Nov.,dsl:ADSL Link Down: 
07:09:30, 8 Nov.,dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 15 seconds
07:09:36, 8 Nov.,dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 6 seconds
07:10:11, 8 Nov.,dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 35 seconds
07:10:46, 8 Nov.,dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 35 seconds
07:11:15, 8 Nov.,dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 29 seconds

Still a murmur of noise on telephone line.

Interleave Depth Downstream 96 Upstream 4

High Line attenuation 49dB

High Downstream SNR 8.7

OwldChap
Grafter

Notice to PlusNet staff on here there is no need to update the members centre notes or notify the member of the advocates team. Thank you.

This afternoon telephone no dial tone for an hour Line completely dead again.

Screen Shot 11-08-18 at 10.02 PM.jpg

Broadband dropout shown on router stats.

High Upstream SNR 9.9dB

High Downstream Line Attenuation 49.1dB

Interleave Depth Downstream 64 Upstream 8

INP Downstream 1.9 symbols Upstream 2.0 Symbols

OwldChap
Grafter

Another drop in broadband connection this afternoon 15:05:25 for no reason.

Still a murmur of noise on the Telephone Line, humming noise in background.

High Upstream SNR 9.9dB

High Downstream Line Attenuation 49.1dB

Interleave Depth Downstream 64 Upstream 8

INP Downstream 1.9 symbols Upstream 2.0 Symbols

OwldChap
Grafter

Broadband as useless as ever very poor service from PlusNet right from week one and still paying full price just taking pensioner for a ride.

Downstream / Upstream

SNR 5db / 9db

Line Attenuation  High 49 / 29

interleave 32 / 8

INP 1.9 / 2.0 

CRC 105845 / 4 in 3hr 20m

Still humming noise in back ground two corded telephones one simple plugged into test socket no other equipment connected.

Speed Test over Ethernet cable no other machines connected. 

On ethernet cable no other machines connectedOn ethernet cable no other machines connected

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sounds like you've done all what you can.

Have you tested the landline with a corded phone, notice any noise? Then you need to raise a fault, PlusNet can escalate this for you.

When you say "Humming Noise", it would suggest to me a landline fault, which you'd need to get BT Wholesale out to investigate as it may be outside your property. Aka PlusNet's "suppliers".

If you have a landline fault, your broadband is never going to be good.

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @Alex for your post.

Sorry to not get back sooner I preparing my evidence for the Ombudman's Service.

Yes I have quiet line tested the telephone line with three corded phones one a simple telephone each in turn plugged into the test socket with no other equipment each time the "Humming Noise" is apparent. This fault has been with PlusNet / Openreach for months now without resolution, it is most probably the very poor condition of the infrastructure that is at the root of all this.

I have had to reboot the router this morning 13-11-2018 as the broadband performance was so bad (overwhelmed by errors) it could not even load a web page just a blank screen.

Openreach say the have made changes to improve the line on 8th October 2018, the changes to the line if they took place  have had a detrimental effect on the Broadband service resulting in poor performance, Broadband Sync speeds being reduced. Why the changes were  carried out by the engineer on the 8th when end to end tasting had been carried out weeks ago  with no apparent problem found, how that was achieved on the D-side  without the engineer attending the distribution pole behind a locked access gate seems very strange and improbable.

Yesterday Drops

Drops in connection yesterday
2011-01-01 00:01:09 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:07:54 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:08:00 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:08:34 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:09:09 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:09:43 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:10:18 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 14:10:52 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 15:06:25 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 15:23:20 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.
2018-11-12 15:29:30 [Informational] syslog: LCP down.

INP stil set 0.9 symbols

Upstream speed cut by more than half and now capped at 443kbps

Upstream SNR very high at 24.3dB 

CRC 1315449 in 17hr 33min 10sec and increasing by 1000 every 10 seconds.

OwldChap
Grafter

Still problems with the telephone line still humming noise on the line, more drops in connection this morning along with loss of dial tone.

2018-11-15 11:51:27 [Informational] kernel: Link State: DSL link down.
2018-11-15 11:54:50 [Informational] kernel: Link State: DSL link down.
2018-11-15 11:59:22 [Informational] kernel: Link State: DSL link down.

Poor quality of line means imposition of restrictions on the telephone line.

Downstream / Upstream

SNR Margin                    High        9dB / 6dB

Line Attenuation              High        49.1 / 28.3

INP                                                   1.9 / 1.7 symbols

These restrictions should not be required on a fault free line.

The poor service continues and being charged full price.

More drops this Evening
2018-11-15 17:47:21 [Informational] kernel: Link State: DSL link down.
2018-11-15 17:56:09 [Informational] kernel: Link State: DSL link down.

OwldChap
Grafter

Where has question #179997422 gone no longer available in Members Centre?

Botched work at Street Cabinet 16 in Tweed Street on 8th November caused complete loss of dial tone and broadband I have had no means of communication for more than 3 days.

Still being charged fill price and no resolution for more than 10 weeks now to this very erratic, unreliable and very poor service.   

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sounds like you need a different ISP.  Plusnet today are a low price mass market outfit, perfectly fine for most users but they aren't good at fixing faults or a getting action out of Open Reach.   Maybe you should be pressing them to agree that you can leave without any contractual penalty.