Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

OwldChap
Grafter

Re: Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

Thank you once again for your support and help @runhare

I have now filled In a complaint on the complaint web page regarding the Engineers none attendance at the appointed time, the refusal to pass on information regarding the fault. PlusNet hold all the cards and the power and they like to use it to keep people in their place and it would seem pensioners given the full treatment. It is probably because I would not accept PlusNet explanation for the other problem and want their revenge.

I May Old But I’m No Fool (Except For Moving Here)
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

PlusNet hold all the cards and the power and they like to use it to keep people in their place and it would seem pensioners given the full treatment. It is probably because I would not accept PlusNet explanation for the other problem and want their revenge.

I don't know what your other problem was. What was the  explantion for the "previous problem that you refused to accept? 

However reputable companies do not typically operate in the manner you describe : there is no point in them ''excating revenege' or 'keeping people in their place' . And it would be illegal and well outside any profresional code of conduct.

If you have a genuine problem with your line it should be fixed no matter who you are or what has gone on before . Unless you are being mistaken  in reporting faults  then Plus Net should get on and fix your problem.

They have no choice

That's my last contribution @OwldChap, good luck - hope you get a satisfactory resolution

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @OwldChap,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't yet had an update from us regarding this issue. I've raised a ticket response regarding this issue which can be viewed here.

Once you've been able to respond to the ticket please let us know and we'll be pick it back up as soon as we're able to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Hey @OwldChap

I really don't mind you reposting stuff, but when you post a DSL Check that says your line can only get up to 2 Mbps, then claim your line should get 10Mbps I struggle to understand your logic.. You say your line is noisy, so that should be your main priority, once you have a quiet line, your broadband speeds will increase.

You say you had this issue with BT, moving to PN or any other ISP won't make a difference - it's an underlying infrastructure issue - the DSL checker pic you posted is the best you can get from any BT line supplied ISP - ie up to 2 Mbps - which is what you seem to be getting.

We are not seeing a lot of information, and you appear to be getting distracted with Broadband speeds, but the noisy lines need to be sorted first, before you will see better speeds. As you are now on ADSL, the yes it would appear the infrastructure between you and the exchange are an issue - but as the FTTC cabinet is closer, what were your speeds and service like when you were on FTTC? 

OwldChap
Grafter

Hello again Mr @Mustrum thank yo for your post and your interest.

I am sorry I am not up to your standard or abilities in broadband just a simple pensioner trying to pass on information the best I can, I will try to explain. The logic I am following is that the line in reasonable condition should support this and indeed at the start with PlusNet Router stats in mid August showed 8Mbps but have steadily got worse to the present. So at best the line will never reach it full potential. The thing about the "DSL Check" 2Mbps is that the minimum guaranteed speed from PlusNet is 2.5Mbps, so PlusNet should admit that the service as they promised id unattainable. As for a resolution to the fault PusNet / Openreach have shown no inclination to resolve the noise having had 7 appointment to try for a resolution but no interest the do not carry out the test they say they will and did not even bother to turn up to the last appointment. PusNet are paid each month for a service that they are clearly incapable of providing. PlusNet / Openreach are supposedly the experts which is part of what we pay for although in this case that is hardly apparent. PlusNet / Openreach know the symptoms noise on the line, lift the hand sat of any of three corded phones singularly plugged into any of 3 Filters singularly causes the broadband to drop no matter which of 3 Routers or which of 3 RJ11 cables are used. FTTC @ 35 Mbps is expensive for my pension and I do not require the speed and is not immune from the same fault the same fault being present with BT FTTC in September 2017 and has been present since June 2018, which BT, PlusNet and Openreach cannot or will not resolve.

Hello Mr @TheMightyAJ

Members Centre notes up dated

Still noise on the line, lift handset on phone causes loss of broadband signal (video taken) also random loss of broadband signal.Screen Shot 09-29-18 at 01.42 AM.jpgScreen Shot 09-30-18 at 11.34 AM.jpgScreen Shot 09-30-18 at 12.30 PM.jpgScreen Shot 09-30-18 at 12.32 PM.jpg

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you haven't done already, you could try a 17070 option 2 quiet line test - you should hear nothing.

The fact you can (even with a dial tone or whether you spoke to someone) would suggest a landline fault which you need to raise and get it fixed, otherwise your broadband will be poor.

On the subject of poor I can see your speeds are not good, and I think you have been unlucky with your previous engineers.

Getting the noise fixed is what you need to do, try a different phone. Master socket. If it continues then you can rule out it being a problem in your property.

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @Alex for your interest and suggestions

Yes I have tried that 17070 option 2 result noise on the line.

I can only report the symptoms to PlusNet as I find them I cannot do anything about the fault myself, I cannot represent noise on the line on the forum I can only display the result of the fault but PlusNet / Openreach seem reticent and in not doing what they say they are going to do even to the point of the engineer not turning up for an appointment.

More loss of signal caused by fault

PlusNet Minimum Guaranteed Speed Is 2.5Mbps

15:0315:0315:0515:0515:0615:06 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

I think you'll find @Alex that @OwldChap had already considered the points you raise.

@OwldChap, out of interest, who do you pay line rental too? Is it Plus Net or another provider?

In a previous post you said you thought your adsl service should have a minimum speed of 2.5 mbs  , but that's not what the BT adsl  checker you posted a screen shot of your line would suggest. My interpretation would be that  the range of speeds available are from 1 to 3 Mbs and the speed available on your line is up to 2 Mbs. This rate is not guaranteed. The important phrase here is UP TO since this effectively gets Openreach and Plus Net out of any responsibilities to provide you with a workable service , and suggests that an  adsl service may not even be technically viable so  it's not very surprising that under such circumstances of added line noise that you're not getting any response from Your isp and it's suppliers.  

Anyway you have noise on the line and that won't help. Persist and get that fixed and then see if that improves the fluctuating SNR and hence your connectivity. After that I would ser if you can afford the extra £6 a month and  go for a fibre service.  I think you'll find you've less of a problem  with carrying out basic activities on the internet. These days a connection at under 2mbs is barely useable for any internet activity  

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you once again for your wisdom and insight @runhare always informative.

As an aside The other issue was I was forced to relinquish my telephone number but that will on its way to the Ombudsman's Service.

My line is rental is with PlusNet.

Perhaps this will either clear the confusion or make it worse, it also explains why Openreach / PlusNet should give this up as a bad job and say that the infrastructure is incapable of supporting the service. incidentally the same symptoms were there with BT FTTC noise on the line,  lift the hand set / use the phone loss  of broadband signal wild fluctuations in in router stats. This suggest to me that the problem is between the property and the street cabinet 0.76 cable length in Tweed street. The very first engineer that looked at this fault diagnosed an underground fault probably a damaged cable I am told by the engineer. I have also had "the pair" change three times, my neighbour also had constant problems with noise on the line but has give up with the land line and now uses a mobile she has no interest in the InternetScreen Shot 08-10-18 at 03.18 PM.jpg.     

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Ok

So - now I see the conflict you have alluded to between the "promise" for 2.5Mb/s made by Plus Net when you signed up for the PN service and the BT ADSL checker, which of the two is probably  the more accurate. PN should be asked to comment on this.

Given that the line has been changed and "pairs swapped" my suspicion is there may not be any other or undamaged pairs avaialble for engineers to connnect you. Hence the poroblems  you are having and also perhaps the cause of you loosing your old phone number.

My suspicion (and it is only that ) is that you are acctually NOT connected via  "a pair"  at all, but that you have been connected up via a botched connection of unmatched wires, between your home and the cabinet in order to provide you with a phone service . Or it could be that one side of the pair in use is good and true, but the other is bad,  or the pair  suffers from an earth or 'battery' fault as it is sometimes known. Any of these scenarios would explain the drops in connectivity, the swings in SNR and speed.  Openreach may be unwilling to  replace or repair damaged cables if underground as the works required will be excessively expensive.They may well understand the problem and therefore don't turn up to appintments as there is nothing they can do. If so they should inform you. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

That does now make a bit more sense. No doubt the DSL checker would have given you a higher estimate before the fault happened. 

As @runhare has mentioned, a broadband engineer going out to a know physical line problem will know they are wasting their time, and no doubt not turn up. This is why it is so important to get the nose problem sorted first. Reporting a broadband problem will get the wrong type of skill out to look at the problem, reporting a noisy phone line will get the right people involved - the ones who can get the road dug up, and sections of cable replaced.

It is a shame your neighbour has given up, as the more times physical line problems are reported and not dealt with, will put more pressure on Openreach to rectify the faulty cable - but if they think you are going to give up, they will put off doing anything.

Not sure I agree about the phone number bit though, that is more likely to be an order mess up - it would be easier for a sales person to just order a new line, rather than work out how to take over a line, but also change from FTTC to ADSL at the same time.

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you for posts informative and interesting comment @runhare and @Mustrum 

PlusNet are well aware of the Noise problem I can only rely on their assessment of the symptoms and how they want to resolve the fault and the quality of the service they have all the information at the press of some buttons if it is a problem they cannot resolve they should say so or more to the point Openreach should say so especially after the many engineers visit under BT and PlusNet.

@TheMightyAJ Could someone from PlusNet please explain the very strange anomaly between the screen shot in message 57 of the BT wholesale DSL checker which shows a speed of 2Mbps, and the screen shot from the information displayed on the order page in message 69 that says the line should be capable of supporting 5 to 7Mbps downstream speeds, the Minimum Guaranteed Line Access Speed of 2.5Mbps.  Not a viable proposition?  The Engineer on the Tuesday 11 September who also had an SNR reading of -4.3dB during test stated that settings had been made to stop the SNR going below 6 clearly not working as SNR is swinging widely Noise On the Line at time so bad it is hard to tell what is being said this poor connection needs to be fixed by providing adequate infrastructure over 40 year I have paid thousand of pounds with very little return the present infrastructure is clearly in a bad state. Both runhare and Mustrum suggest that the cause of noise on the line from damaged cable or poor connection should the prime objective on the Engineer which will also benefit the broadband signal. I believe it was Gandalf who wrote in message 10  "I'd recommend raising a broadband fault to as the this kind of problem needs to be investigated by a broadband engineer.

21:0621:06    

Mustrum
Community Veteran

OK, my last post on here if you don't change tack - 47 years ago I joined the Royal Signal as a Telecoms Technician, and now like you am a pensioner - but one with some Telecoms knowledge.

There is a possibility that maybe I, and @runhare and others know a bit more about how phone lines, and broadband are carried over them than the CS guys you have been dealing with, and the "engineers" that have been sent out, and not least you Sorry no offence, really just trying to help. Maybe the Chairman of BT who sent me the "25 Years" service award does not know as much as you and will support your view and method.

I really do hope this helps - the physical phone line needs to be fixed before you will get any improvement in broadband speeds - focus on a noisy phone line when reporting faults, ask - if not beg, your neighbours to do the same. 

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you once again for your help @Mustrum and your time on this much appreciated.

I have edited my entry above to emphasise the noise element of the problem.

But I am tied down to the PlusNet / Openreach appraisal of the fault.

Once again thanks.

OwldChap
Grafter

Tuesday 2 October 2018 11:22

@TheMightyAJ

No response from PlusNet To the none attendance dispute. I have proved the engineer's not are not a true reflection of what occurred. It is obvious from PlusNet none action that they have no intention of resolving these issues so please would you issue a deadlock letter with out delay