Did you mean: 

Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

Hi @OwldChap,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm sorry for any inconvenience and would like to assure you that we've not been intentionally not replying to your posts.

I've added an update to the fault ticket here regarding your engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you for your assistance @EmilyD

My comments were not aimed at the forum staff who do a sterling job I am sure. You can only do what you can within the confines of the PlusNet management.

It must be my age but I have become rather cynical of this organisation especially when on of there slogans is “Straightforward And Honest” not so from my experience. Along with Openreach that have been trying to solve this recurring problem since June. The fault has many causes according to Openreach "Exchange fault, Underground fault, Cross Talk and Very Poor Infrastructure" Old Folk so any excuse will do even been told that "you are a very long way from the exchange"  no it is 2.7km cable length from exchange so if the infrastructure was in reasonable condition the down stream rate should 8.5 - 8 Mbps. I have been told that the pair has been changed three times but the problem persists all that the end to end testing will do is prove the infrastructure is vey poor as BT Broadband Availability Checker result are so poor and at hand back levels. See what Openreach blame this time.

The broadband and phone have been connected for over a week now via a micro filter plugged into the NTE5C Mk4 test socket.

Once Again Thank You. 

I May Old But I’m No Fool (Except For Moving Here)
OwldChap
Grafter

Todays Drop in connection just by lifting the hand set on the corded phone.Screen Shot 09-22-18 at 02.56 PM.jpg 

Also works with a second corded phone lift hand set drop broadband connection in each case connected via micro filter in to the NTE5C Mk 4 test socket still well below minimum downstream speed. Noise on the line. More videos for the collection which show the lights go out on the router and record the noise and show the connection to the test socket.  

Well Below Minimum Downstrem Rate StillWell Below Minimum Downstrem Rate Still

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear the speeds are dropping further.

Let us know how you get on after the engineers visit

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you for your post @MatthewWheeler

Engineer did not attend as arrangement with Plusnet, I was in attendance all afternoon from 13:00 to 18:00.So nothing been done with this recurring problem by Openreach since June. Downstream SNR still high.

Has DLM been reset? 

Complete waste of time. PlusNet Should have acted last week I had posted date for Engineers Visit but PlusNet chose to ignore them for their own reasons while they made a decision about the other problem. 

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I am following this thread With interest. Is there any reason why openreach engineers are not dealing with this customers problem in the professional and correct way ? 

1. Are plus net actually making the engineers appointments with Openreach for the customer? 

2. Can plus net provide the proof that appointments have been made?

3. Does the OP have the proof that appointments have been made?

4  If Plus net and the OP can provide the proof appointments have been made,  why is the engineer is not turning up? Is the OP being ignored by open reach for some reason? 

As I understand the regulations the OP is entitled to compensation for missed appointments you Openreach.  

The usual procedure for an engineer appointment should be that the open reach engineer would contact the customer by telephone ( if the customer has a working phone) to say when they are about to visit or if they are conducting tests.  They would telephone the customer to see if they have cleared the fault and to inform them no visit is necessary. That's the typical procedure  in the district where I live  

Moving on to the actual symptoms of the fault, that the Internet service drops  when using the telephone handset, it would appear there is something very wrong with the customers telephone line.  This could be anywhere from the telephone exchange to the customers property including the internal wiring to the master socket which may have been damaged.  It could also be the customers telephone or other equipment connected to the telephone line that is faulty. No-where do I see any suggestion  in the posts that the customer uses a simple non-mains powered corded telephone with no other equipment connected as a test procedure.  

I hope this Gets sorted soon   And that the customer gets better information and advice. 

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @runhare for your interest and your very concise post it is very good.

Last week Tuesday 18 September 9:49 I posted dates for an engineer to visit these were ignored as PlusNet were deciding what to do about another problem. it is not coincidence that as soon as PlusNet had made a decision on the other problem the support resumed. I was told that an appointment had been made for 26 September 13:00 to 18:00. I have no notification that the Engineers visit would not be required. There has been no testing been done from this end at the test socket that the equipment has been plugged into for nigh on a fortnight now. No Engineer has checked the distribution pole, the drop wire junction box which connects to the cable from the distribution pole cable and certainly not yesterday as I have a good view of the locked gate access. I have plenty of videos showing the disconnects with sound track of the pop crackle noise on the line. So Openreach have not carried out the tests they said they would do. 

I have had no notification that the fault has been resolve or the cause of the fault or if further action will be required. 

I have tried three routers. three corded telephones one of which is a simple non powered corded telephone, 3 RJ11 cables and 2 in line micro filters each permutation connected to the NTE5C Mk 4 Test Socket same bad result each time Vey bad noise on the line last week when PlusNet chose to ignoring the problem.

Drop very early this morning speed reduced Downstream SNR still high 9.6 dB High line attenuation 45.5 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

@OwldChap

If possible keep your simple corded phone as the only one In use  for the time being.

@MatthewWheeler  clearly BT open reach are not working to their own professional standards here. I think plus net should take this to a much higher level with open reach. It needs the involvement of a senior manager.  If there are any mitigating circumstances such as a lack of appropriately trained engineers, then this should be made known to the OP. But without question, not to keep  Your customer appropriately informed of the status of their fault and to give them misleading information isn't right.

My personal experience with plus net has always been that the information provided by them as an isp has been spot-on, but engineers from openreach are often very overstretched and unclear as to what exactly is the fault they are meant to be investigating. They are meant to have concise notes but often don't bother with them as each new engineer decides it's easier to start again. If they find something just about works that's good enough , they leave and sign off the fault as fixed. Clearly such an attitude isn't acceptable but as there isn't very limited accountability this approach continues in some areas to the norm. 

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @runhare for help and advice.

Just tried the powered phone and the simple phone and both instances noise apparent on the line through micro filter plugged into test socket left simple phone plugged in for time being.

OwldChap
Grafter

Another two drops this afternoon using phone.

13:54:26, 27 Sep. dsl:ADSL Link Down
14:52:03, 27 Sep. dsl:ADSL Link Down 

Rustling sound on the line

Speed demolished again Openreach have had fair opportunity to correct this for month now they have no answer the infrastructure is not capable of providing a reasonable service so the service should be stopped.

No response from PlusNet

Screen Shot 09-27-18 at 03.20 PM.jpg  

OwldChap
Grafter

No response or any kind of notification on the members centre notes by PlusNet. 

So have no information as to what is going on.

Not what you would expect from a company in the communication industry.

I will give it a little longer then fill in a complaint.

OwldChap
Grafter

Could someone explain why the figures in BT availability checker for ADSL are lower than the minimum  PlusNet downstream rate of 2.5Mbps, or am I reading it incorrectly.

Something seriously wrong here.

PlusNet what is happening here please?

Screen Shot 09-27-18 at 09.06 PM.jpg  

How can downstream rate in router stats be higher than the maximum data rate in router stats?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The simple answer is you are too far away from the exchange.

You could improve your broadband speeds by going to FTTC, but you also have noisy phone line that you seem to keep ignoring/not getting fixed.

So yes you are reading something wrong - simples!

OwldChap
Grafter

Hello again @Mustrum thank you for your interest.

I know you do not like it but I will repeat myself for your benefit.

First of all this fault has been going on since June with BT FTTC and as a pensioner I did not need the speed, do not do any big downloads so when I switched To PlusNet ADSL just for web browsing. An appointment was made for an Engineer 26 September 13:00 to 18:00 but he neve turned up and PlusNet have fallen silent and not responding here or on the Members Centre notes so I do not know  what the next step will be other than filling in a complaint so the only people ignoring not getting fixed are PlusNet / Openreach.

I am not to far away from the exchange at 2.7km (1.68miles) cable length (Confirmed by an Engineer) from the exchange, line attenuation should be 38dB not the 45.5dB it is at present and the Downstream Speed should 10.5Mbps as it is I am lucky to get half that, the reason "very poor infrastructure" again from an Engineer hence the constant patching up of the line no full resolution to the fault those far. 

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Can Plus Net staff look into this and actaully get something done to help  your customer?

@RandallFlagg

@MatthewWheeler

@Gandalf

The OP has been very clear in his descriptions of his probems: he has a very poor quality line which is imapcting badly on his Internet conenction  No one seems to be interested in getting this fixed. We all know it can be done so why isn't it? Someone needs to take ownership of this and sort out the problem. I can't understand the huge variation in Plus Net customer service standards that this fault exposes.

Before anyone does reply ,please take a look through the post and the notes on the customers complaint . And don't give him irrelevant advice. He seems to done everything you can expect a customer to have done so please don't mess him around