cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage question

JUICE690
Dabbler

Usage question

Hi, I'm wondering if someone could explain how since 8am this morning up until now my usage is telling me I've used 228.5MB
Now other than a 30mb file nothing else has been downloaded from the web. The only other thing the computer is used for is general surfing the web and my 3 year old playing small flash games on a nick jnr website of and on for around an hour.
My wireless router is password protected so I don't think anyone is using our connection.
The other thing is we had the basic package only a few weeks ago (for around a week) and we didn't come close to using that???
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Usage question

Do you have the BBC iPlayer or Channel 4 4oD installed? They can use bandwidth whilst the machine is on running in the background.
Or could it be automatic updates downloading?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
paulby
Grafter

Surfing a good few webpages can also use up a fair amount of data - particularly sites like My Space or You Tube.  Also sites with a lot of flash content are quite heavy on the data transfer - how many times was the game reloaded on the Nick Jnr site?
JUICE690
Dabbler

Quote from: the
Do you have the BBC iPlayer or Channel 4 4oD installed? They can use bandwidth whilst the machine is on running in the background.
Or could it be automatic updates downloading?

Hi, I don't have eithier of those installed, my updates arn't set to automatic.
There is a a fair ammount of surfing but nothing excessive. As for Nick Jnr she loads quite a few games but I just had a quick play myself (research purposes only lol) for around 25-30 mins loading games and my usage hasn't moved.
Curious
dvorak

Your usage takes around 2 hours to show up, maybe you could get netmeter to see what the usage is like on the flash games.
Customer / Moderator
JUICE690
Dabbler

Quote from: the
Your usage takes around 2 hours to show up, maybe you could get netmeter to see what the usage is like on the flash games.

I'll try that thanks Wink
My usage has jumped up since my original post by 30mb so maybe it is the nick jnr site Huh
JUICE690
Dabbler

Wow! using SurplusMeter (mac) in 9 mins on Nick Jnr I've used 20mb! seems pretty obvious where all that bandwidth is going  Grin
Thanks for your help woo
dvorak

no worries, glad you got it figured out  Smiley
Customer / Moderator