cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage limits for 'Broadband Your Way Pro' and other things.......

Chinster
Grafter

Usage limits for 'Broadband Your Way Pro' and other things.......

As a 'broadband your way pro' subscriber I pay more than most for my connection.
10gb limit recently increased to 15gb, which is excellent (thank you).
I'm usually well under even the 10 gb limit.  However, I got a new swanky pc, all singing all dancing and I couldn't resist downloading loads of demos to try out on it.  Thus, just a few days into the month I'm reduced to a 128k service.
Fair enough, that's what I signed up for, so if I'm not getting any sympathy I can live with it.
However, why not consider carrying over at least PART of a user's unused bandwidth allowance to allow for situations such as mine?
Yes it's my own stupid fault but I got carried away with my new PC, like I say, I'm usually well under the limits, now I have to go the whole month on a really silly download rate.  Yes, I know I can pay extra to get it lifted.
Allow users on this tariff 2 bandwidth spikes per year where they can go over the limit by 5gb?  Not a huge amount, and certainly less intrusive to you as it now is to me.
I know I'll get hammered here, I signed up and I messed up so I should just suck it up and move on.  Still, life would be boring if we could'nt clog up internet forums with our thoughts.
Thanks,
Chinster.
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Usage limits for 'Broadband Your Way Pro' and other things.......

Your unused allowance subsidises the heavy users... Wink
In other words this has been discussed at length many times and the answer has always been no from PlusNet.
You can always buy additional allowance.
Chinster
Grafter

Might have been discussed at length many times but I'm new (ish) so it's always worth going over again as I bet I'm not the only new person with this problem Smiley
Yes, I can buy more bandwidth but I don't think I'll bother, 128k will probably be fine for me until the end of the month.
I can also look at what other providers are offering, I'm on a monthly contract and can hop off any time I like.
Be3G
Grafter

You could also perhaps consider Broadband Your Way, if you don't use things like P2P (or don't mind things like that being a bit slower)... for example, your £20 could pay for 30GB under BBYW. You're also allowed to change package every month IIRC - without any penalty - if you so desire, so it might be worth giving it a go for a month or two.
Edit: although in retrospect it probably wouldn't solve your current problem as I expect the account change would be processed on your next billing date anyway.
Spider
Grafter

I understand where you are coming from with the idea, but as other have said it as been discussed a lot in depth before. If my understanding is correct, the reason that Plusnet do not offer this facility is that they the price of the product is based on average usage each month. This means that the people who use less than average are compensating those who use more than half per month. If everyone used all their usage (or their was a carry over from the previous month) then the basic price would have to go up to reflect Plusnets increased costs levied by BT for usage.
James
Grafter

Hey Chinster,
I'm absolutely certain you won't get "hammered" here.  It's a friendly forum (although the general chit chat forum is "interesting") and we don't tolerate flame wars and suchlike which I think that you're referring to.
Now regarding the pricing and usage allowances of our products, it's been touched on to an extent. I could probably spend a rather large amount of time discussing the ins and outs of how our products have been designed, but that's already been done before... in a blog post! Smiley
Feel free to have a read here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/08/17/broadband-your-way-blueprint/
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: Chinster
...Thus, just a few days into the month I'm reduced to a 128k service.

With other BBYW products you only get reduced to 128 if you haven't signed up to increasing GBs on a PAYG basis.  As far as I know with 1,2 & 3 products you can buy extra GBs for £1 in 1GB slugs and 2GB slugs for Pro.  No doubt others will comment if this is true.
James
Grafter

It's £1.80 for Pro, but otherwise you are correct Smiley
Surfer
Grafter

I have recently joined Plusnet and think that there is something strange going on as I have almost reached my 1GB limit within a short period of time.  I checked with my other provider my history details and on average I was downloading under 500mb per month.  I log on for emails and to browse the net.  I do not download songs, videos or play games online.
By the way, if one wants to contact "support" via an email it is a total joke as ths must be the most unfriendly user site I have ever come across.  I think I may be better of dumping Plusnet and going elsewhere.  Seems things have not changed in the last 8 years since I last tried Plusnet!
Be3G
Grafter

If you want to send PlusNet a question then use this link. Alternatively you can phone them on 0114 296 5198.