cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage higher than it should be according to plusnet tool??

tomtom89

Usage higher than it should be according to plusnet tool??

Hi guys,

Today I got my Tompson router from plusnet. I set it all up at about 9.30am. Went on to google to make sure it worked then went away, leaving the router on but laptop off.
When I got back I watched about 1 hours worth of videos and browsed web pages for about 30 minutes.
Now iv looked at my usage in the tools option on plusnet website and it  telling me im at  416.54MB  :o. Does this sound right?

Couple added questions too. If I stream a video through, so its all loaded up, but only watch say half of it, does it still count as the full video minutes in the usage?
Secondly is it free internet after midnight for all plusnet users?

Thanks in advance for any help on this...
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Usage higher than it should be according to plusnet tool??

A little arithmetic (sorry)
416MB = 416,000 kB
Over one hour is 416,000/3600 = 115kB/s = 942 kbps which a video will easily use
If it is all downloaded - even if you don't watch it - it counts
Free usage midnight to 8:00am is free for all customers
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Firstly, welcome to Plusnet and the forums. Smiley
Secondly, Oldjim is spot on. 400MB is easily used on an hour of video.
All accounts have free overnight usage. Smiley
tomtom89

Ok that's fine, thank you for quick reply. Its great having this option to ask questions to plusnet staff here.Also what's more is the  free overnight useage, I never knew about that untill registering on here.

One last thing. I know it all works with maths etc, but worked out each day it comes to about 333mb a day on a 10gb usage, is there anyway to work out how many hours a day of xbox live that is? Roughly even? Does xbox use a lot of mb? I.e 1 hours worth of video for 400mb
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
XBL itself isn't too bad - at least gaming doesn't use a great deal of bandwidth - I suspect gaming 24/7 you wouldn't use up 10GB (think it's around 25-50MB an hour depending on game and whether or not you're hosting (hosting will use more)). However video streaming is pretty bandwidth intensive, as you've found. It depends on the stream quality but in general they're about 700kb/s (for youtube) and more like 1.5Mb/s for higher quality streams like the hi-def iPlayer and sky streams. (that's kilobits and megabits, not bytes).
Hope that helps,