cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage graphs etc?

itbookworm
Grafter

Usage graphs etc?

Well we got our broadband connection up and running with a bit of help but now we can't work out where all the usage is coming from! (Maybe the 1GB limit was a bit low Smiley )
Anyway, all the computers were shut off before midnight last night and nothing was switched back on until after 8am this morning so where did 73.3KB free usage come from ? !!! And we also had 45.22KB of chargeable usage? I am sort of assuming the usage to start up my laptop and pull up the plusnet page itself won't have registered that quickly.
The only other thing switched on is the network connected printer but that shouldn't generate outgoing traffic. We also have the plusnet broadband firewall set to high which I would hope should block a lot of the random traffic checking our connection.
The usage seems to be clocking up a lot more quickly than we expected for what we were doing over the weekend. Approx 80MB per day, even for up to 4 machines switched on, browsing the internet (on 2) and not doing much else seemed a bit steep.
Can anyone recommend a pc level monitoring utility so we can double check?
All suggestions welcome. Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Usage graphs etc?

73.3KB and 45.22KB of usage are very small amounts and are perfectly normal background traffic on a router. Even though your PC may have been switched off there will always be a small amount of background traffic on a router connection, normal port scans etc.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
itbookworm
Grafter

I assumed that there would be the usual port scans etc. but not having needed to monitor usage before I didn't have any idea what sort of figures to expect Smiley As you say the figures aren't exactly large.
We do have the broadband firewall on and set to high so that is OK.
We know there isn't anything streaming and 97% is marked as web (the 2% FTP confused us but we suspect that anti-virus updates might be coming that way or the driver download that we did from within firefox).
I will have a browse (from work) and see if I can find something that will monitor usage. It looks like I will have to reduce my bbc news site habit Grin probably not that bad an idea!
We do have wireless on but it has SSID hidden with WPA-PSIK security set so that should be secure (or at least we hope so).
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
I've found DU Meter to be pretty good when needed in the past. Smiley