cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage! Seems to go quickly

thomasprescott

Usage! Seems to go quickly

Been on msn messenger for 1 hour, conversation only, no pics sent, files transferred etc... Check PN usage, and it says 1GB. Seems to be alot? Am I right?
And please can someone tell me if I am also right about this.
Thanks
Just checked again and its now 406mbs.
What the hell is going on!
now its on 7.51 mbs  Shocked        really confused
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Usage! Seems to go quickly

I don't know if this helps but Plusnet usage data is not updated in real time, I think it lags a couple of hours after the event.
If you were looking at 1:15 a.m. then your usage since midnight should have been free and, when registered, would show under 2nd September.  1 GB of usage would be equivalent to about 1.5 hours watching the BBC iPlayer, I think.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI thomasprescott,
As ReedRichards said the usage is not updated immediately, so the best way to gauge it is to look at what you used for the whole previous day. If it still seems higher than you would have expected then there are tools like networx which can show you how much bandwidth is being used. Often there can be programs we're not aware of that eat our bandwidth so it can be a good idea to monitor it in this way.
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

where did your figures come from?  as VMBU is a rising figure, and can not fall for the duration of one day
thomasprescott

I checked the graph thing. Only received the router at 3pm that day and could see that from starting to midnight it was almost 1gb. Watched about 15 mins of video but apart from that it was just the basics checking facebook and emails and browsing eBay. I would say that wasn't on the laptop anymore than an hour!
thomasprescott

Now just check my paid usage for today as in thursday and it says 40.5KB. The only thing I have done is log into PN and looked at my usage. I thought browsing was free?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is background noise and is absolutely normal
Mine runs at about 230kB in the overnight free period when the computers are all switched off
thomasprescott

OK , so i want to watch some tv online. If i render them all on separate internet tabs at night (free allownace), and then watch them during the next day, it wont use my usage up?
itsme
Grafter

Only if you download and save the video to disk.  I believe you are describing opening multiple tabs to watch video streams and allowing them to play overnight and then replaying them later on. As these are video streams they will download them again when replayed.