cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Limits - Have I underestimated? - Breakdown.

Stretlow

Usage Limits - Have I underestimated? - Breakdown.

Hello!
I'm new to the forum (and plusnet) and have had no problems with my initial setup. However...
I came from an unlimited package (adsl2) and had no idea of the download limits (didn't need to).
My first question is, does streaming content (video's,music) stored on my laptop to my xbox count toward my limit?
Secondly, I stream sky player for between 2 and 5 hours roughly and game for about 2-4 hours roughly per day. I would say I dont download more than 5 gigs of other stuff a month.
Is 40 gig enough or am I going to use that by weekend?
Thanks in advance for your help......
Stret
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Usage Limits - Have I underestimated? - Breakdown.

Everything counts! (except internal transfers between devices on your LAN).
You can keep an eye on your usage here: https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Stretlow

Dont transfers from my laptop to my xbox count as theyre on the same network?
dick:quote
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Transfers from laptop to xbox don't count, just anything downloaded (or uploaded) from (or to) the 'net.
If you download a movie to the laptop, that counts, if you then stream it from there to the xbox that doesn't.
Streaming movies from the internet can add up quite quickly, gaming is usually quite light on usage (unless downloading large patches or similar).
Keep an eye on your usage in the member centre and see how it's going.
Anything downloaded overnight (usually midninght to 8am) is not logged against your usage so it's good if you download movies during the 'free' period to watch later.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Stretlow

Thank you for taking time to respond. going to test the laptop to xbox thing now.
dick:quote
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm not sure about the data rates on SkyPlayer, but depending on content and quality it seems to use about 500MB per hour (very roughly) so quite hungry on usage.  A typical YouTube music video streamed to the XBox (which seems to determine the quality level based on the internet speed it finds) can use about 35-45MB.  Gaming is very light (they tend to design games to pass as little data over the network as possible) and is maybe in the region of 50MB per hour at most.
As has been said above, "local" traffic inside your home isn't part of your usage - it's only traffic that passes through PlusNet's servers that is metered. Of course, if there are things that you can download overnight to watch later (rather than "live" streaming) then it won't count against your usage at all.
Stretlow

Again thank you.
So basically if I download stuff after midnight and don't leave sky player on for days at a time 40 may be enough.
Jobs a gud un
miffysmate

We have a PS3 and an ipad/iphone and struggle with 60g limit. I don't do nearly as much streaming as you appear to do.
We download as much as we can after midnight to try to and conserve the amount we have but it is always a struggle. I have therefore just called Plusnet to get more GB. The beauty of Plusnet is that they are very accommodating and don't tie you into a contract, so you can upgrade and down grade as you wish.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't correct as the OP is on Fibre
Upgrading to Fibre Extra starts a new 18 month contract