cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Fault

onedart
Dabbler

Usage Fault

Hello, I normally use just over 10Gb usage per month but so far have managed to clock up 35Gb with another week to follow  Shocked
I've switched to wired router but situation is still the same and I'm sure it still ticks over when I am disconnected. I was wondering if this was a common fault? Will ring as soon as 10min delay is over to save cash for the bill  Cheesy Rgds
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Usage Fault

Hi Onedart,
It's extremely rare for us to misreport on usage because we get the reports directly from BT via something called CBC.
I'd keep an eye on your connection now that you are connecting in a wired fashion.  Have you either turned off wireless or used a decent level of wireless encryption?
It's quite possible that someone else might have been using your connection wirelessly.
prichardson
Grafter

Depending which product you are on, we might be able to tell you in a call if or not it is correct or not. We can otherwise take a written request (ticket) and supply it within about 24 hours.
We use separate systems to measure usage. One on our network watching data flow over your authenticated connection (by your username and password at connection time), the other based on a data feed from BT showing the volume of data on your connection tunnel between your exchange and our gateway.
Due to the unique ways of measuring it, the two data feeds present two slightly different figures, but the tollerance is very small.
onedart
Dabbler

Hello, thanks for your fast reply. I've been using a voyager 210 wired router and swap to wireless voyager 2091 just for printing.
I raised a ticket yesterday and was reported as being "online throughout 21st September", but in fact was out for most of the day with router switched off. I've used another 2-300 MB adding a comment to the ticket and writing this. Will phone again soon
James
Grafter

Thanks.
When you say the router was off, do you mean that before the 210 and 2091 had no power connected?
onedart
Dabbler

Yes, I switch of at the mains to let the adaptor cool.
onedart
Dabbler

Problem is solved.
I must have sold my old router to another plusnet user and because I forgot to delete username and password he/she is enjoying free internet at my expense. So if it's you please be kind enough to own up!  Grin
paulby
Grafter

You'll need to change your password here then, if you haven't already done so.  That will stop the other user from logging on to the network with your credentials.
Remember that you'll need to change the login details on your router.  You'll also need to change the password for your default mailbox in your e-mail client and also remember to log into the portal with your new password!
James
Grafter

Haha, that's a new one!
As Paul says, make sure that you change your password so that they can't log in as you.
Not applicable

@Jameseh
Once he's changed his password, won't the other person be able to remain connected until they next disconnect?
I know I've gone months between changing my password on the portal and having to change it on my router when I finally rebooted it.
Can you disconnect the 'spurious' session?
James
Grafter

We can probably kick off the connection using an intrusive one shot check.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We can probably kick off the connection using an intrusive one shot check.

Only if it's connected on the same physical line, one shot checks work on the CLI or CBUK, not the username.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Good point, Chris.