cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uptime on 2704 router

driveconsultant
Grafter

Uptime on 2704 router

I have a new 2704 router, a last ditch desperate measure to try and get to the bottom of frequent line drops. I can live with the poor functionality of this router as most of the work apart from connecting to ADSL is done by a home brew server on my network.
I have discovered the expert menu, but nowhere can I find a way to see how long my connection has been up. There is a field to say how long the router has been up but not the connection. Is this information available from this router?
And by the way, the plan has not worked. I have been using this since yesterday evening and still my line has dropped at least once, possibly more. I have had Openreach here who say there is no fault, new faceplate filter, all phone extensions removed, and just one phone in the master socket. Still can't get the reliable connection that I had for years.
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Uptime on 2704 router

Which router were you using previously?
If there is no change, then as likely as not, there was nothing wrong with the old router.  If its the TG582n with 10.2.2.B firmware is both quite reliable (xDSL side) and open to diagnostic monitoring.
Have you noticed any patter to the disconnections - use of the phone or electrical equipment?  The report of no problems on the line (assuming it was tested properly) might point to an intermittent line issue or an interference issue.
have you looked at the speed issues thread - see link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The line is dropping a bit, up to 5 a day:

Your line is actually connecting at a little higher than I'd expect for the loop loss, there are a few errored seconds showing up and the mean time between errors is lower than I'd like to see really.
Loop Loss:  59.5 
SNR Margin:  9.3 
Errored Seconds:    3 
Speed:  3467 
Indicative Line Quality:  A 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  57 
It may be worth us increasing the target SNR to 12db, but that will mean a slight drop in speed however it might help combat those errors.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Townman - my other equipment is a Draytek Vigor 120 modem (preferred) or a cheap and nasty Huawei EchoLife HG520b that I think had previously been used on TalkTalk. Both of these worked perfectly for years until early June this year, I don't know what changed at that time but I've had nothing but problems since. I agree there's probably nothing wrong with either of them, but having tried everything else I was running out of options - still am. I asked the Openreach engineer whether it could be an intermittent bad connection and he said that his tests would have shown that up.
Chris - the speed of 3467 that you saw just now was just a few minutes after I rebooted the router. The speed had spiralled down since Friday, eventually reaching 1734 yesterday, which I was finding a bit slow. I don't mind a slightly slower speed than that if the line remains stable.