Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream noise margin, dog slow uploads and erratic downloads

100mileshigh
Dabbler

Re: Upstream noise margin, dog slow uploads and erratic downloads

Quote from: Chris
Some ISP's (who are a more expensive) have Max Premium included in the price.
It's not specific to an ISP as it's quite easy to place an order with Max Premium enabled but it would push the monthly price up.
On the whole, most customers wouldn't find the need for Max Premium and would rather pay less for not having it, I imagine.

In hindsight I suspect that this may have been the case on my last ISP as i was paying (noticeably) more, but while the higher upload speed was mentioned, I don't have any recollection of anything being said about having higher network priority . Plus, as a smaller ISP with a nigh on flawless reputation I did expect to pay more for not only quality of service but support as well.
However, even with Max Premium added Plusnet would still come in cheaper, and so far the support on here has been all I could wish for.
I think I will run through the first couple of weeks and see how things settle down, however if the absence of Max Premium is still a gripe guess i'll be signing up  Smiley
Would I get a faster response to a request to have it added by posting my request in this thread, or it through the Plusnet trial page?
Many thanks once again for everyone's help, I feel my sanity has been restored  Cool
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

If you want to, it's probably best to request it through the Trials page ( http://trials.plus.net ) - pop us a note on here to advise us that you've done this and we'll get that picked up for you.
100mileshigh
Dabbler

Sweet.
Thanks Chris.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Chris
Some ISP's (who are a more expensive) have Max Premium included in the price.

The difference between Max and Max Premium is a follow on from the old residential contention of 50:1 and the business contention of 20:1 - i.e. Max Premium was aimed more at business users. I'd expect ISPs more orientated towards those users (and charging business prices) would include it in their offering. Going back a bit it was included in Plusnet's Business Option 3 package but an option on Business Options 1 and 2.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
100mileshigh
Dabbler

Makes sense. Guess I'd just got used to having the benefit of higher priority without even realising it, so it was a bit of a surprise to see the difference not having it made - other than to the obvious upload speed difference.
Every day is truly an education.....  Cheesy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's what I mean, there will be a fair few customers who have been in a similar position before but haven't noticed the difference I would guess Smiley
100mileshigh
Dabbler

I have submitted the request for Max Premium - getting download speeds between 300B/s and 46K/s are simply unacceptable at any time of day - not happy!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Something is not right you shouldn't be seeing such a huge drop. Could you run the thinkbroadband speed test please.
Also have you had any disconnections?
100mileshigh
Dabbler

Hi jelv. I've not had any Link Retrains or DSL Training Errors.
Speed test results:

EDIT: I've rebooted both my router and computer but no improvement. I am seeing speeds as low as 39B/s just trying to refresh this page.
EDIT 2: well, an hour later, and despite being barely able to load a web page or have any hope of updating an app on my tablet all night, I am now streaming 720p videos on YouTube at 600k/s+ Shocked
Happier - yes, confused - very, confident that things have sorted themselves fully - not quite yet.
Fingers crossed for the same sort of speed continuing tomorrow and no repeat performance of tonight  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That looks horrible! Is that with a wired or a wireless connection to the router?
Tips:
1. You don't need to upload images to imageshack. When composing your post click Additional Options and Attachments where you will find the option to attach files to your post.
2. Results from the thinkbroadband test: when it completes scroll down the page where you will find the BBCode (for forums; not supported on thinkbroadband forums) Displaying Graphs which will look like this:

Just copy/paste that code in to your post and it will display like this:

This is from a 20CN Max Premium line.
100mileshigh
Dabbler

Yes its not overly pretty. It was on wireless as I don't have an Ethernet cable on hand - will grab one tomorrow. However all the other speed tests that I posted like the BT wholesale one were also done wirelessly.
Many thanks for the tips, it took a blue age to upload to image shack  Grin
Please see my 2nd update on the previous post - I don't get the disparity in performance at all.
Edit: managed to get an Ethernet cable off a neighbour this is how the speed test looks over a wired connection now:

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This does seem a little odd to be honest.
Can you let us know if this happens again tonight, as well as what time this starts to kick in?
100mileshigh
Dabbler

Yes, no problem Chris. The latency still seems high even though speed picked up.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok. Let's keep an eye on it throughout today and tonight and I'll pick this back up tomorrow morning with you.