cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream Banding, what's changed?

DcUK
Dabbler

Upstream Banding, what's changed?

Since a reset at the weekend my upstream rate has been capped at 886 kbps, which seems a little strange as I never noticed any errors on it before.
My downstream rate varies a little and sees errors when the exchange insists on training it above 18 mbps (how long does it take to learn?)  Angry  I don't even gain any downstream speed or stability from the upstream banding, it just seems a bit, well, random.
My questions are, what bands are there for upstream and is it possible to get it reset to what I used to get (up until last week), 1.2 mbps?
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Upstream Banding, what's changed?

Hello DC,
I didn't realise that >886 up was possible, I guess we can't all live so close to the exchange.
Banding is a real 'PITA'.
I cannot offer anything helpful here other than to back you up on how stupid banded profiles seem to be.
I'm fine on upload (700 to 800+) which I cannot complain about for my line length / attenuation BUT I am on 3M download though the last time me banded profile switched off I initially synched at 9000 which is actually quite rediculous for my line (5000-6000 might be sustainable), the silly sync caused line drops and errors that caused an banded profile to be re-imposed within a day or so,  back at 3000 sync and unable to stream BBC IPlayer in HD on a line that can support that!
Hopy you get back to super-fast uploads soon, sorry to moan about the real tragedy of banding.  I'm now back on banded for several weeks, no sign of return to normal.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
scootie
Grafter

i dont think there is banding on the upstream, but same rules apply to the uplaod as download regarding noise margins what does your first sync with on the upstream ( i get between 800-950kbps on my 50db atten line tends be mainly 850ish) looking at my snr now am at 5db am not sure f it syncs on 6db or 5db thoe of top of my head. i had the DLM rise my noise margin on the upstream before for about a week.
does it sync at 886kbps every single time and no lower?
DcUK
Dabbler

Yes, so far I've had three consecutive syncs at exactly 886 and that is probably 300 lower than I've seen since I was rolled. My current line stats are:
Capacity Used:  99%
Noise Margin:  17.5 dB
Output Power:  12.5 dBm
Attenuation:  12.0 dB
FEC ES Errors:  0
ES Errors:  0
SES Errors:  0
LOSES Errors:  0
UES Errors:  26
Defect Status:  None
Speed (kbps):  886
Cells:  58244672
Reed-Solomon EC:  0
CRC Errors:  0
Header Errors:  0
Interleave Delay:  0
The 26 UES were recorded whilst the line came up and haven't changed since. As you can see, upstream is rock solid and always has been, but now the bandwidth has been cut by about 30%. It's a little frustrating with no real explanation.
scootie
Grafter

is that the SNR of the upstream if so thats real bad to be all the way up there at 18dbhink mine went to 9 or 12db when it threw a wobble on me.
hopefully it will come back down soon, try to keep resyncs to a minum i would stick with one aday max if possable till the DLM decides with it tiny brain that the line is in fact stable
EDIT. the dlm increased mine to 9db http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=75667.0;attach=9205;image