cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed

highfield5
Grafter

Upload speed

I was wondering about the upload speed for lines that are similar to mine.  From a few comments I have seen I'm beginning to wonder if there is something still not quite right with mine - I have had some issues before.
So, I'm about 450m from the cab with a download of about 56 Mbps and an upload of about 10 Mbps.  I know all lines are different but is this roughly the same sort of upload speed that others at similar distance/download speed are getting?.
Ian
8 REPLIES 8
All4One
Grafter

Re: Upload speed

Are you on a wireless connection or ethernet as this may vary it.
And to me, what you report it's absolutely fine.
I get about 42Mbps down and between 7-10Mbps up.
highfield5
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
The speeds are as reported from my SamKnows box - connected directly to the router.
It may be a bit simplistic but I was thinking that if I can get roughly 75% of the max download speed on the line then I should also get roughly 75% of the upload.  In fact that (15 Mbps) is roughly what I was getting when I was first connected to fibre.  I know that cross line interference from new cab connections will drop that figure, but by how much.

All4One
Grafter

What does this say when you put phone number in?
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Mine shows:
High - Low

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
50.7    - 35.2
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
12.4    - 7.8
highfield5
Grafter

That's another reason that I was wondering if something was wrong.
The clean figures show
Down 60.1 to 43  - so I (at 55) am at the higher end
Up 17 to 10.8 - so I (at 10) am below the lower end
The impacted figure are
Down 51.1 to 28.3
Up 17 to 7.7
Perhaps I'm clean down but impacted up!  Undecided
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The stats we have are as follows:
Downstream Speed 60.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.0 Mbps
I would expect the upstream speeds to be a little higher but it's something guaranteed unfortunately. I can see the speeds improving with an engineers visit, a lot of the onus is on the  DLM to ensure the line is operating as expected. I can't see that much improvement can be made but it's important to remember that as ADSL is, FTTC is also rate adaptive.
highfield5
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I'm not going to stress about it  Shocked , it was just that I have seen others with a similar download speed getting higher upload speeds.
It's not really worth chasing up either as, as you say, it is probably working as well as DLM thinks it currently can.  In addition there are some major road works about to take place between me and the cab, including the complete replacement of the bridge all the telephone cables cross, so anything might happen to my line in the next six months  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

according to this http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/12/when-slow-speeds-become-a-fault-on-bts-fttc-superfast-b... the upstream Fault Threshold Rate is 22.5% of the downstream rate so in this case it is 13.7Mbps
So why isn't it being treated as a fault
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Possibly because the 22.5% upstream fault threshold rate appears in an earlier edition of the FTTC handbook, but more recent editions don't mention anything about any fault threshold rate.