cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed problem - Luk

luk
Grafter

Upload speed problem - Luk

I am a new customer to Plusnet, having moved from a different ISP earlier this week.  My previous ISP tried to keep upload speed as close to "1.1 meg" as possible, and I have to say they achieved this and the connection was quite stable most of the time.  Having moved onto plusnet, I am shocked to learn today that you cap upload speeds "to 448kbps on the BT Wholesale side"
Here's the thing, I wasn't aware of that fact prior to being connected, and I am certainly noticing that the upload speed is rather slow and erratic at the moment.  When you sign up, you are given an estimated line speed, but of course that is only relevant to download speed.  I didn't see any mention of upload speed, or the fact that this was going to be capped.
Imagine how upset I now feel having just learned that there is a "small cost" to be "uncapped to downstream speed"  - incidentally, I haven't actually been advised what the additional "small cost" would be, and whether this is a one-off or monthly fee.
I've come to Plusnet because I felt you were a reliable or reputable organisation, and I am pleased that you offer static IPs for a £5 charge; this is something I am contemplating at the moment as I intend to run a web server on my connection for the purposes of developing and hosting a small community website (non commercial), but I fear that currently, with the upload speed in mind, this project will not be viable and something of a non-starter - in fact I don't suppose my connection will even be stable enough at the moment to cope with upload to a remote server as I fear FTP traffic would probably time out.
I am aware that I am currently within the 10 day line training period, so things can improve in terms of reliability, however that doesn't fix the fact that upload speed is capped!
I am happy to pay the one off charge of £5 to active a static IP (but only if the connection is actually going to be stable enough in the long term and fit for purpose for my community website project) but having to pay additional money to modify the connection/upload speed on top of the installation charge for the service and the P&P for the modem - and possibly even an extra £1.50 a month on top of that for chosen billing method - I can only conclude that I am already beginning to regret choosing plusnet!
For an internet provider who claim they'll do you proud; I'm looking for you to do just that now - please do me proud!  I want to be a happy and long term customer, so I hope there can be a positive outcome for this case.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  Post split off and title changed for better visibility ]
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upload speed problem - Luk

Something is either badly adrift or you have misunderstood something
The first question is whether your exchange is 21CN enabled - check here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Does it say this " BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN"
If it does then you can have your upload speed uncapped for no charge - it is free
If it doesn't then I must assume that you have come from an LLU supplier and because the exchange is 20CN you are stuck with 448kbps upload unless you are prepared to pay for Max Premium which will give upload speed of about 832kbps BUT it costs £7.83 per month http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/max_premium.shtml
luk
Grafter

Thank you for your response Oldjim, I appreciate your support and prompt reply.
As per you advice I have visited Usertools to run the appropriate checks.  The exchange details are as follows:
Market: 3
20CN VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN
So hopefully this was just a misunderstanding by the customer service team.
Fingers crossed  then that it'll be a simple upload speed uncap.
You've put my mind at ease Oldjim; thank you.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi luk,
I've placed a modify order to uncap your upload speed. This will complete on Monday for you and there is no charge for this service.
You can also add a static IP addresshere
luk
Grafter

Thank you Chris,
I am incredibly grateful for your support with this matter.  I look forward to the changes coming on Monday, and I thank you for actioning this.
I'm looking forward to remaining a happy and loyal plusnet customer for many years to come.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We look forward to the same Smiley
Let us know if there is anything further we can help with.