cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed less than a third of that on sky - how come ?

nickascii
Grafter

Upload speed less than a third of that on sky - how come ?

Hi,
I moved to plusnet a few weeks ago and my broadband has been pretty stable at 14Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up
as tested via http://www.speedtest.net
Before I switched I was with sky and consistently got 17Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
I can live with 14 instead of 17 down but less than a third of what I was getting on upload
is a bit disappointing.
Is there any reasonable explanation for this ?
Thanks
Nick
20 REPLIES 20
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Upload speed less than a third of that on sky - how come ?

Your upload is capped, but can easily be uncapped - hopefully one of the CRT staff will pick it up tomorrow and arrange it for you.
With any luck you  should finish up somewhere close to where you were before.
nickascii
Grafter

Ok thanks,
if nothing changes in say a week or so can i officially request to be uncapped
and how would I do it ?
Seems strange to cap uploads by default especially these days when so many services
are "in the cloud"
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

They don't but somebody pressed the wrong button when setting up the account
It should be picked up tomorrow but should you want to raise a ticket this is where to do it https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22883&wizard_id=38
tony8436
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
They don't but somebody pressed the wrong button when setting up the account

They seem to press that wrong button a lot. I'm STILL waiting for my download speed to be uncapped. I was told on Sunday that my profile had been raised and it would take up to 3 working days. Still stuck on a 2.4 Mbps profile. Not holding my breath for anything to actually happen and am sick of apologies and excuses.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

The problems you are having with your download speeds have nothing to do with the capped upload issue raised by the OP in this thread, who can confidently expect to have his/her problem resolved tomorrow via the forum.
tony8436
Grafter

It is relevant as it is PN capping speeds. I wouldn't be confident in PN being able to organise a prayer in a mosque, let alone keeping a promise.
nickascii
Grafter

Just reading a few older threads around this area, quite interesting.
Are there any "for dummies" guides e.g. explaining what all the numbers etc
mean on the "router stats" page of my TG582n and other acronyms like CRT, 21CN etc ... Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is a good start for the stats http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm and for general questions this is also good http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We are also concerned with some of the capped orders. Chris is collating a list of accounts so that we can see if there is a pattern to it, and internal messages have also been sent. I've raised an order to remove the uncapping of the upstream for you. This should be complete by Monday.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Quote from: tony8436
They seem to press that wrong button a lot. I'm STILL waiting for my download speed to be uncapped. I was told on Sunday that my profile had been raised and it would take up to 3 working days. Still stuck on a 2.4 Mbps profile. Not holding my breath for anything to actually happen and am sick of apologies and excuses.

I understand your issue isn't as straight forward, and that the root cause of the problem is being investigated already?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: plusnettony
Chris is collating a list of accounts so that we can see if there is a pattern to it, and internal messages have also been sent.

Tony,
IIRC in the past this has been profiled to manual orders, either in provisioning or support changes to a line - for example alter SNRM or interleaving.
From what I recall being told, the BT Business systems present ALL configuration options, even though just (say for example) SNRM needs to be changed.  The problem arises from the fact that the BT Business system presents default settings for various other things (like US speed) rather than the current settings for the line being changed.  Consequently if PN staff miss this shot-in-the-foot-by-BT-cock-up and forget to correct the default setting, the user ends up with an unexpectedly capped line.  At the moment, prevention of this issue requires a high level of manual diligence, which is not the right solution.  Angry
Would you know if the new ordering system will provide assistance in this space when CHANGING an existing line's configuration?
As for identifying affected accounts - there were some scripts used sometime ago to identify 21CN US capped accounts and automatically uncap them - could those scripts be of assistance to Chris now?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Sorry Kevin, I've only just seen this post.
I can't answer your questions at the moment, as I've not seen much of the new provisioning systems, but I will make Chris aware of your post. I suspect we do have the scripts, and again I'll make him aware.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Tony,
Worry not, you are busy fixing people's problems.  Picking up (hopefully helpful) input will always be a "slow time" task.  Wink
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nickascii
Grafter

Just looking at my closed questions I can see
"The broadband service is now being transferred to the 21C Network.
The transfer will complete by midnight on 17/02/2015."

so I'll check my router stats tomorrow 🙂