Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed dies in bridge mode

kerblamalot
Dabbler

Upload speed dies in bridge mode

Hi everyone,
It's been a bit of a battle to get here. I've done a lot of tinkering (and a lot of demonic speech may have been uttered) But I've discovered my upload speed is reduced to a crawl when I'm using a bridge configuration. During peak time, it's almost none existent. (screen picture of BTW performance test attached below)
However, if I bypass the wireless access point and connect straight to the modem, my upload speed returns to normal which is 0.40 Mbps. To be honest, it seems kinda lame. Playing anything that requires peer to peer, and using Teamspeak at the same time, turns my voice into a robot. Which is amusing to the guys who I play with. Most of the time, they can't even understand a word I'm saying as my voice becomes very distorted...
So I'm getting the impression that I need to fine tune my settings. I'm getting a feel for how everything works, but I'm still left feeling confused on a few things. I'm left wondering...
1. When designating my modem to bridge mode, is it possible the settings on the modem could be conflicting with the router?
2. Or is this just a curse of having a bridge mode configuration?
3. And does a max upload speed of 0.40 Mbps seem freakishly low to you?
I've also noticed when I ping in bridge mode, I'm getting request time outs. My response time also seems delayed and all over the place. (Picture also attached below)
If anyone can shed some light on what my dumbass is doing wrong, I would love to know!!!
9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Upload speed dies in bridge mode

Surely you should just raise a line fault and not muck about with bridges until it gets fixed?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

kerblamalot
Dabbler

I already have. They said my line seems fine. To be honest I feel ripped off
I should also clarify that I did this following the guild lines set on plusnets fault checker. I've had a listen on the phone line for any signs of crackling. I suspected there might of been rain water getting into the line, but heard nothing when it was lashing it down.
karencharltonuk
Grafter

check out my thread regarding upload speed.  See if its relevant to your situation.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138818.0.html
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Right.....what router have you got in bridge mode; plusnet have supplied many over the years or you could have bought your own.
What make and model router as well please
oh and ADSL max 0.4 Mbps is standard upload speed.
Ian
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

As you are on 20CN, I'm afraid you have the standard upload speed. As far as I can see, there are no plans for fibre or 21cn in your area.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kerblamalot
Dabbler

Thanks everyone for replying. Sorry I forgot to leave the details on my original post.
I have a TP-Link, model number: TD-8817 working as the modem. And my router is the Asus RT-AC66U working as the wireless access point.
I was using the router supplied by plusnet, (Thomson TG585 V7) as a modem before, but while I was trying to fix my connection, I had to reset the firmware to manufacturer defaults as something went wrong (I can't remember exactly what it was). Unfortunately it's not easy to set it to bridge mode as it had to be done by applying a firmware update. All the links to the firmware are now cold, as the file is no longer available. I know I could just use the supplied plusnet modem/router, but the WiFi signal is very restricted.
I thought our line is due to be upgraded to ADSL2+ as BT where looking into any unforeseen problems before rolling out the upgrade. But no exact date other then 2015. I can't remember where I had read that. I know it was in our parish council news letter. Has this suddenly changed now? Our line is so old, I wonder if well need to rely on messenger pigeons and smoke signals....
Is it possible to remove the upload cap from my connection as is mentioned on karencharltonuk post? If I can resolve this awful ping delay, I'd very much be interested.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've only got this information - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput .
As for 20CN upload, it can be uncapped but it's costly as you'd need a premium account. You can upgrade here.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kerblamalot
Dabbler

I found the problem!  Cheesy
Everything is a lot more quicker as well. I didn't realize how badly affected my connection was until I changed things around.
It would appear, that the wiring leading where I had my router and modem originally is damaged. I've plugged my connection straight into the main phone jack leading into our house downstairs, and now things load within a blink. Ping times to google is around 22ms, and my upload speeds have returned to normal.
This problem has been bugging me for ages. I never thought to check the wiring. The new bookshelf we got last year has been pushed against the wire, and has pinched it. Now I need someone who's handy with wiring...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Just buy a new piece of wire. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."