Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed, 0.10mb/s

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Upload speed, 0.10mb/s

Hi martinstewart,
You will need to get in touch with us once the capacity issue shows as resolved on the link I provided and we should then be able to place the order and get you shifted over!

Thanks,
Adam C
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: Oldjim
As his exchange is 21CN enabled I am not sure what your problem is

Quote from: Acassim
Unfortunately after checking the availability for 21CN it seems that your exchange is capable however there are some capacity issues which means we cannot get an order accepted.

Jim,
Don't have a problem, rather being open minded to there being a good reason why this user is not on the best service available at their exchange.

Adam,
Back to the problem as originally reported - why is the service apparently so poor on this sub 8Mbps 20CN service please?

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: martinstewart
I got 0.10 using www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk last night over wifi.
The 0.37 was using ethernet and the BT speedtest. If I run it using the wifi, the upload speed is 0.08.
This is why it was low
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jim,
I understand that the speed measures were made over WiFi which is down to the OP to address.  However, this line (as is) ought to be running at the 20CN ADSL max synch rate - there is plenty of SNRM headroom (unless it has been set to 15dB).  It is two bands down from the top band for 20CN - why?  Has it been banded and got stuck?  Is there some other underlying issue?

Martin,
You need to look at improving your WiFi experience.  Can you obtain inSIDDer (V3 Home) and look at your WiFi channel usage in your area.  You might find changing your WiFi channel will improve your internet experience.  If you are predominantly WiFi connected, until that issue is sorted, you will not derive much benefit from the availability of 21CN.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The speed quoted is very close to the normal maximum on an interleaved line which the OP's connection is
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Jim,
Embarrassed Embarrassed Another subtle pointer missed - FEC error counts means interleaved means speed reduction.  The FEC count is very low.
I'll ask why this line is not doing better a little differently - why when everything else on this line appears to be so good is interleaving set on?  It's a relatively short line (14dB / 1km) has lots of SNRM head room... what's stopping it doing better?  As we both know, every ounce of stable synch rate is like gold when you are on a sub-teens service.
Kevin

Oldjim
Resting Legend

God knows but from memory once interleaving is applied on 20CN it is never taken off again automatically
Actually in this case the difference between 8128 and 7520 is about 0.65Mbps in terms of IP profile
I believe that on 20CN it may be possible to get the interleaving removed although it just might need a full retrain
Given the present date for 21CN being available I would suggest leaving things alone until that happens
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If download speeds are around 6Mbps or so over wireless (close to the IP profile speed), and it's just the upload speed that is bad, then the problem is likely to be the previously mentioned flawed technicolor 585v8 router. I don't know if any workarounds like setting the 585v8 to 11g (not 11n) work, the usual solution is to replace it with a different router.
martinstewart
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
The availability is now showing as 8th August.  Does this mean the date of 11th July has been pushed back or is the 8th Aug for new capacity?
I've tried using an Apple AirPort Express, hooked up to the ethernet connection from the Thomson router, and that is giving me an upload speed of ~0.4MB using its wifi connection, which is what the line should be, is that right?
If so, it does sound like it is the wifi on the Thomson router that is causing the problem with the upload speed.  Is there any scope for getting a new router sent to me?
Thanks,
Martin
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Martin,
Capacity for 21CN is now for the 8th August, the July date has been pushed back.
Are your upload speeds still lower over your Thomson WiFi?
martinstewart
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Yep, still getting the same slow upload speed on the Thomson wifi.
Thanks,
Martin
martinstewart
Dabbler

Quote from: Adam
Hi martinstewart,
You will need to get in touch with us once the capacity issue shows as resolved on the link I provided and we should then be able to place the order and get you shifted over!

Thanks,
Adam C

This is now showing as resolved.  Could you place the order to get moved over please?  Thanks