Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uplink Speed expectations...

FIXED
Multiplex
Dabbler

Uplink Speed expectations...

Hello

I had the uplink cap taken off a while ago but I'm only getting 888kps whereas I see comments suggesting I could be getting more 1.2/1.3Mbps.

I have the old Plusnet Thompson TG585v7 and the DSL stats are;

Uptime: 42 days, 0:39:02
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 20,361
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 3.69
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 15.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.5 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 188,308,551
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28

Is there anything I or Plusnet can go to increase the uplink speed further?

Or should I wait for FTTC - which given where the empty cabinet has just been put may be further from here than the local concentrator(exchange) 😉

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Uplink Speed expectations...

Fix

You've currently got interleaving on permanently which reduces your upload speed.

I've placed a order to change it to auto which should increase this from tomorrow.

Let us know if it doesn't.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Multiplex
Dabbler

Thanks.

I've seen talk about interleaving - never thought it would affect the upload speed.

I've certainly never asked for it to be set but then apart from the upgrade from standard ADSL2 to 2+ and the cap removal, and a single bout of noisyness (OR re-did some joints) it's been mostly left as it was for 15 years 🙂

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

If it's turned on the upstream it does restrict the speeds to 888.

If you've reported a intermittent fault we'll sometimes add interleaving to try and stabilise the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Multiplex
Dabbler

Hi, I forgot to ask... Do I need to manually re-start my router to trigger the change/renegotiation or will that happen automatically when the request is processed?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You don't need to reboot the Thompson, the DSL will re-connect automatically when the change happens.

The 888k upstream speed limit is often seen when the upstream interleaving depth is 8 or higher, and it might take a few days for the DLM to lower the upstream interleaving depth or even decide to switch off interleaving entirely as it's such a short line.

Multiplex
Dabbler

Thanks, just finished crafting a cron script for my Raspberry Pi to get the DSL stats once a minute - should make for some interesting graphs as the line adjusts to the new setting (I hope 🙂

Multiplex
Dabbler

I got impatient and powered my router/modem off for 5 minutes in the afternoon...

I now see the upwards CRC and FEC stats as NA and the Down FEC stats looks interesting;

2016-08-28.png

Orange line is rolling 15 min average and the value is still stable at about 22 errors per sec now.

I can post the script if folk want - I'm no linux expert, it is specific to the Thompson (but could possibly be edited for other routers), and I expect that an expert could make it much better. But it's another bit of fun with the Pi 🙂

EDIT: the script doesn't do the graphs! it just grabs the stats page (as above) and strips out the values and saves them as SCV in a text file for import to Excel/Libre Office Calc)

Further EDIT: I got too caught up in playing with the data... no changes to uplink or downlink speed yet...

Multiplex
Dabbler

Thanks. It's started speeding up 🙂

I guess it is like a watched pot, I stopped checking it several times a day and plotting the graphs and then it quietly starts going faster 🙂

Something obviously happened yesterday morning, but the event log has rolled past that now. The Uplink SNR is significantly lower (presumably what allows for faster speeds);

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 2:52:50
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,177 / 20,372
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 101.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 15.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0