Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to PlusNet Extra.....but where is the "Pro" addon

Routefinder
Grafter

Upgraded to PlusNet Extra.....but where is the "Pro" addon

Hi All
I just made the upgrade request from my Legacy Product Premier Option 1 as more costs effective on 'Market 2' exchange.  Using the Portal Wizard for this it went throught AOK but at no point was I offered the +Pro addon and the life of me I cannot find it anywhere of how to add it on as surely the billing form the point of upgrade (11th November) should account fo the total change requested???
Now I have been reassured that I should no change in my service (sync speed et al) but I note the the "generic info" displyed during the upgrade showed my current DL as 2.5MB but the DL after the change is expected to be 2MB.  So yes I know this is as I say generic info and should affect the actual measured speed (currently sync'ing at 3789Kbps and a Margin of 3.4db) but seeing this info in the upgrade process telling me the expected DL will be lower than under the old account I thought was strange?
But back the main point, where do I add the +Pro in time for the changeover date?  Smiley
TIA
23 REPLIES 23
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upgraded to PlusNet Extra.....but where is the "Pro" addon

Would you believe the Pro add-on is added from Add-Ons?
See the attached screen dump.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Jelv
I did look there but the only addons listed are these:-
Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee (included)

A fully featured security package, including all you need to stay safe online.
Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware - email, chat and browse without worry
Firewall defends your PC from hackers and viruses
Identity theft protection and Anti-Phishing
McAfee SiteAdvisor? shows you website safety ratings
Protect up to 7 PCs

There is no mention of +Pro...........................................now I may be dense but if this is part of a package then perhaps it is only available once the new Package is activated but surely as a choice when 'choosing a package' why is it not there as part of the upgrade process???  So if I can only choose it after the new package is activated when will it kickin and as such be billed?
PS I have now had any email acknowledgement that I have requested the upgrade  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Ah yes!
If Pro isn't allowed on your current product it won't be shown.
Unlike other product changes, Pro becomes active immediately so you can do it on your billing day once your account change has completed (or later - you might want to see how things are without it first to see if you can save some money).
Routefinder
Grafter

Makes sense Wink
Though if one is actively making a choice to upgrade why don't they have it as an option during the upgrade process..................they make the HomePhone available as an offer so why not +Pro.  As  businessman/salesman I find this is a missed opportunity when upselling a product.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Pro add-on was designed for our more recent packages (Value and Extra) and unfortunately not for older products.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to add to the above, I see what you're saying - that the ability to queue the pro add-on so it's put on as soon as the account change is done would be useful - and certainly agree that it would be a nice to have. Not sure that the return would be worth the work put in though given that it can be added first thing in the morning following the account change?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

or after a day or so once you have found out that it is actually needed
Routefinder
Grafter

@ Chris ~ was not disputing that "Pro" was new for recent products and not for older Legacy ones
@ Matt ~ take your point about cost to have selectivity in the upgrade process.................but as mentioned 'you' do offer the Home Phone so why not when the system was setup to have the backend tweakable to add to the offers Huh  But c'est la vie Wink
@ Oldjim ~ point noted but the improvement in VPN all being well will be a boon and that is Pri vs Gold should should(?) improve the user experience.
I will have to act on the morning of the 11th Nov to ensure that the billing is sorted smoothly i.e. not two bills!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Billing for Pro is done pro-rata up to the next billing date and taken retrospectively for the activation month. So no need to rush.
The charge for subsequent months is taken in advance. This means that if activated on the billing date (just after the product switch) the 'pro-rata' amount is the full amount. So at first glance it can seem like the charge has been double-billed for the next month whereas one charge is for the month just past.
David
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi spraxyt
For fear of sounding dense but I am full of meds at the moment  Embarrassed
So if I ask for Pro on the billing date ~ afteral if I want the Pro functionality I need to ask for it ~ the charge for that first month is made at the next billing date (11th December) in retrospect plus they take December/January charge 'in advance' at the same time i.e. the apparent double billing that you mention?
Therefore to make the retrospective 'bill' lower so it stands out one can delay a week or so and only be charged Pro Rata......................but that comes back full circle that if one requires the Pro function such as improved VPN then you need to start from the activation date change?  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yup
However - on Extra VPN isn't throttled
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Seriously, don't order it on day one until you've established you need it. When you order the add-on it becomes active in minutes so there's absolutely no reason not to wait and see.
I used to be on PAYG which is the same as Pro as I also make extensive use of VPN. When I moved to Extra I automatically added the Pro add-on. Not long back I was testing something for Plusnet and had to use a different login which meant no Pro add-on - I couldn't tell the difference. I cancelled Pro before I returned to my normal login!
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi both
Thanks for the added feedback  Smiley
The legacy Premier Option 1 was/is also "Gold" for VPN and I have found my VPN connection at times slow'ish and non responsive, hence I was hoping or expecting that "Pro" addon with its "Titanium" Pri VPN would show a noticable improvement but if as you say Jelv that there is no 'user noticable' difference between VPN under Titanium & Gold then maybe the Pro addon has limited value???
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I certainly suggest trying VPN with the standard product for a day or two first. If it seems sluggish have you checked that the traffic is being correctly identified as VPN by doing a Wireshark capture?
David