cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre

Fantomas101

Upgraded to Fibre

Hi Guys
Long time, very happy Plusnet customer, but first time poster on these forums.
I have been using standard broadband with a TP-Link TD-W8968 ADSL2+ modem router with no problems.
Yesterday, following a house move I had my new fibre connection installed.  Unfortunately the Plusnet router has not yet arrived.
I would therefore like to use my existing TP Link router which I have read should support fibre connections.
I have connected it the LAN 1 port of the Openreach modem to the WAN/LAN port on the TP Link router, but no joy.
I presume I will need to add in my connection details manaully on the TP link router ?  My other question is, do I need to change the mode of the TP link router  ?
Thanks
Matthew
11 REPLIES 11
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Upgraded to Fibre

I'd expect as a minimum, you'll need to give it your logon details, and tell it to talk Ppoe from the LAN/Wan port, rather than using the ADSL port.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Matthew,
here you go http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=480
Set the Connection Type to PPPoE and use the same username/password that you used for the ADSL setup.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fantomas101

Thanks guys, thats really helpful.  Will give it a try when I get home tonight Smiley
Fantomas101

Thanks guys
I've got everything connected now and can get on the internet  but I'm only getting around 7.5 Mbps download speeds.  Upload speed is around 18 Mbps.
This shouldnt have anything to do with not using the Technicolour router right ?  I read that I may locked on my old ADSL profile ?
I have restarted the equipment but no change.  I also know to expect some inconsistencies during the first 10 days, but I would expect faster speeds than this initially.
Thanks
Matthew
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It may sort itself out over night but if it doesn't I suggest phoning in and asking for the Plusnet profile shown here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed to be updated
Once done you may need to disconnect/connect the router - Not the modem
Fantomas101

Thanks Jim Smiley
I'll check it again tomorrow then.  I checked the link you provided and this is the output
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
7.8 Mb
Thanks again
Matthew
Fantomas101

Hi
I've tested the download speed again but still getting around 7.3 Mbps.  I've tried ringing the support line but faced with a 45 minutes wait.  Also, got a problem with my home phone so relying on mobile, which isnt great.
Can anyone from Plusnet check to see if my line is still using the old profile as none of my details seem to have changed on my account details.  Eg. still showing my old phone number.
Thanks
Matthew
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is and I suspect it will need sorting out on Monday
Is the problem on the phone related to the fibre install - if it is I suggest raising a phone fault at https://faults.plus.net
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: Fantomas101

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
7.8 Mb

This current line speed value is your Plusnet profile, so if you're ever worried about speeds in the future, this is the first thing to check. It seems quite common for the Plusnet profile to stick to your old ADSL one for the first few days from what I've seen on this forum, as during the first two days, BT don't assign you a proper profile. This means the Plusnet profiling system has nothing to compare against and leaves you on the profile you were on.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'd be worried with a speed like that!
The engineer measured me to be 300m (via wire) from the local cabinet & I only get 58Mbps.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It looks as though the profile has automatically aligned, please let us know if you're still seeing poor speeds.