cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Poplar

edaruffo

Upgrade to Poplar

I noticed that the Poplar Exchange has an upgrade date of 5 Nov.  I have had Plusnet for a week now, so haven't broken the ten day break-in, but still only receive 120K download speeds.  Should I expect some magical improvement on my download speeds on 5 November?
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Upgrade to Poplar

is that 120 kB or 120 kb
what does your profile show http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
edaruffo

Not sure about the kb kB vernacular, but I know it times out on even the simplest web pages... I attempted to download a football game (1.7 GB) yesterday, it's locked up and stopped numerous times, keep restarting to get another 10MB each time.  It's really, really slow, can't support skype, can't support Youtube...  not hopeful that anything will change on the 5th, nor am I hopeful anything will change once the ten day break-in is complete.  Been resetting my router daily, no avail...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try this check as well http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
as a clue to kB and kb  this is my connect at good times
Be3G
Grafter

I'm afraid that the upgrade of the exchange won't provide any immediate benefit for you; the upgrade is a case of enabling the exchange to supply an updated type of ADSL (ADSL2) as and when providers such as PlusNet wish to start providing it. (This is a somewhat simplified explanation, but it gets the pertinent bit across.) Having said that, if you're really getting 120Kb then I'd imagine something must be rather wrong - that sort of speed would be expected when miles from nowhere, not in the middle of the Docklands.
edaruffo

Thanks for the replies.  I'll try this test once I get home, will wait the requested ten days before I begin calling/complaining/whining... Smiley  Overall, with the speeds I'm experiencing, I will probably pull the "help" string a few times, then just find another solution.
Cheers, and again, thanks,
Ed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Looking at your line stats you seem to be a fair distance from the exchange (60.5 downstream attn) which is giving you a sync rate of 992. I'd suggest having a read of this blog about speed problems which should give some advice on how to check you are getting the best you can.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
edaruffo

Thanks Chris, ran through that site, lot of info, but not much help.  I'm only about two miles from the exchange I believe, and live in a fairly new development.  But...  I'll take another read on the page you recommended, walk through some of the tests...  we'll see how things develop, just want useability - don't download or game very often...  Cheers,
Ed
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

two miles straight line or 2 miles as the BT wire is laid?
I have read somewhere that docklands has a problem with long line length. will post more info if i find it again.
Ian